Mr Kingston's Roommate|48

Start from the beginning

Then he became my saviour, he stayed with me in my darkest moments when I longed for my then distant boyfriend. I didn't realize what I had in the palm of my hands until he kissed me that day. Until he made me realize that the relationship I once had was nothing but a pool of toxicity. 

"Come eat, Leila." His voice snapped me out of my reverie and I only realized until now that I dozed off for more than ten minutes just watching him cook. I sauntered towards the table and sat down opposite him, my eyes flickering down onto the plate that he prepared. "Don't worry, maybe one day you can cook for me, until then I don't trust you." 

"What!?"

"I'm joking, Leila. You really don't know humour when you hear it do you?" He said, referring back to a few months ago when he hid the dorm keys in his pants and joked that I should get it myself. At the time I was a flustered mess, mostly of anger and frustration and he pointed out the fact that I didn't know a joke when I heard one. 

I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips. Of course, I knew he was joking, throughout the course of this relationship I've learnt to stop being so on edge and take everything literally. Blake taught me that, ironic, I know. "Just shut up and eat." 

~~~

I pushed myself away from the computer desk, frowning up at the flat screen television hiked up on the wall above the sofa in the student's lounge. My eyes flickered down to the news headline 'Plane Crash Victims Identified.' A week ago a plane bound to England crashed into the mountains somewhere off the coast of the United Kingdom. 

I called Peter in a frenzy to see if he was okay, completely neglecting the fact that he left three weeks ago. It was the sudden shock and worry which pushed me to react so irrationally. Peter laughed it off even though I told him how worried I really was. He commented on how I needed to focus on my maths but in the end, reassured me that he was okay despite it being impossible for him to have been on that plane. 

I tore my gaze from the television and froze when Drake appeared at the end of the room. I made my decision to tell Sam, it may not be my place to come between her relationship with him but I won't sit back and watch my friend get hurt by a scumbag. 

I pushed myself off the chair and marched across the room towards him, completely ignoring the fact he was currently conversing with a group of his friends. They could wait, my friend, however? She couldn't. "Hey, Drake I need to talk to you." I bit down onto my tongue to prevent myself from completely losing it as I stood at the foot of his chair. 

He stammered, surprised by my forwardness before excusing himself from his friends. I sauntered away from him, not bothering to see if he was following me or not as I made my way out of the building. As soon as I heard his heavy footsteps slow down beside me, whatever was holding me back from cursing him out inside dissolved. 

"You're cheating on Sam, I saw you in the Cafe with another girl, and I'm pretty damn sure she isn't your sister unless you got some serious family issues going on in your household that needs the work of only our lord and saviour Jesus Christ. You tell Sam or I do." I didn't bother holding back, I wanted to get this over and done with, Sam would do the same for me. 

"How could you do that to Sam? You know she doesn't deserve this and you take advantage of her not being here to walk around freely hugging and kissing another girl with absolutely zero shame?! Drake, I seriously thought you were somewhat different. You made me believe that there are actually some good guys out there but now you've completely tossed that out of the window!" 

I expected him to either freakout, break down and cry, be defensive or run away but instead of all that he just stood still as if he was battling which emotions he needed to put on. Then he pivoted on his heels to face away from me and peered up at the sky before sighing. "Sam and I have been together for so long now, Leila. This is the first relationship I've had that lasted longer than three months. 

I was so used to it that it kind of became the norm for my dating life, but then Sam came along and it lasted a duration of twelve months and counting. I love her, but I just- I don't see myself in a long-term relationship. It's not me, as wonderful as it may be I just can't do it. I've wanted to break up with her for a long time but I don't know how to. Cheating of course isn't the answer, but as douchey as this may sound I'm tired, I saw a way out and I took it."

I stared up at him in bewilderment, wondering how someone could be so insensitive. Did he ever stop to think what this would do to Sam? Every time she talks about him she has this glint in her eyes filled with so much joy and excitement. All I heard was me, me, me and hands down that was the most conceited thing I've ever heard someone say. 

"I'm glad you know that you're a douche, Drake. But do the right thing, and tell Sam, let her down easily and don't break her heart even more than it's going to be. If I hear that you've somehow pinned this on her, or you made the situation worse than it should be in any way shape or form, I'm coming for you Drake, mark my bloody words." 

Without sparing him a second glance I stormed away from him and back into the student's lounge. I hated how people would wave the word love above others' heads as if it has little to no meaning. Love is such an intimate thing, a bond built between two people who trust one another with their every being and he claims he loves her.

There's a fine line between love and being in love and unfortunately, he feels neither one of them for her.

I halted in my footsteps when my phone began to blare loudly in my pocket. I fished it from the folds of my jeans pants and answered the call. My father's voice blared out from the other line, not giving me a second to get a simple hello out, "Leila your mother-" he began but I immediately cut him off.

I didn't want to hear about her. I want nothing to do with that woman again. Forgiving my father was a huge step in the right direction, but my mother? No matter what she does or says I'll never forgive her for what she did to me all those years ago and just recently. She can rot in hell for all I care. "I don't wanna hear about her, Dad."

"W-wait-" he stammered. I frowned deeply as I detected the distress in his voice as if he had been crying. He breathed down the line heavily, his voice wavered and as he said his next words, I finally understood why he was a completely broken down mess.

"Your mother was one of the victims in the plane crash. She's dead, Leila. Your mother is dead."