35.

The synchronicity with which Nikki and Dom's faces fell may have been comical had the subject matter been funny. They listened, faces becoming slack, as Tom, who had a better grasp on your health problems than you did, explained your condition and the ongoing tests that you would have to go through, including the urgency of falling pregnant. Neither of them appeared to know what to say, bar apologising and saying "wow" repeatedly.

"Wow" Dom muttered again, picking up his beer for yet another swig.

"Dad, stop saying wow please"

"Sorry. Oh, I'm so sorry, that's awful Y/N" Nikki murmured, her voice soft and motherly.

You shrugged uncomfortably. You disliked sympathy from anyone, except Tom. You were also feeling guilty that the promise you'd made her in LA, that you and Tom wouldn't be rushing to get married, wasn't going to be kept. "It's fine. I mean, it's not fine, but it is what it is"

"Have you told your Dad, about your..." Nikki trailed off, gesturing with her hands. She didn't seem comfortable saying hyperthyroidism, as if it were catching.

"Yeah. I called him last night. Don't think he really understands it though". Your Dad, whilst the sweetest and most loving man in your life second to Tom, wasn't exactly a genius. He worked as a brickie, and was happiest with a beer in hand watching the football.

"Is this why you haven't announced your engagement? You two have been busy dealing with this?" Dom asked, frowning.

"To be honest, we haven't given the engagement or wedding much thought. But it does feel a little silly to celebrate with everything else that's been going on"

"Well maybe that's a reason to celebrate, given everything that's been happening"

"Maybe. We still need to figure out what we're doing about the wedding, actually" you sighed.

The conversation tapered off, the only sounds coming from Paddy's room as he played Spider-Man on his PS4.

"So, what were you thinking of for the wedding?" Nikki asked. You felt a swell of affection for her, and silently thanked her for lightening the conversation.

"We don't really know. Don't want a massive affair, just family and close friends"

"Why don't you have a backyard wedding?"

"We don't have a backyard Mum"

"We do"

"We do?" Dom questioned.

"Our backyard, dear" Nikki said to him patiently.

"What, out there?" Tom said, pointing to the small backyard with its astroturf.

"Why not?"

"It's kinda small"

"Keeps the numbers down!"

"I like the idea" you interrupted. "But maybe not here. Not that I don't love your backyard, Nikki, but it would take a lot of work and put you guys under a lot of pressure to make it happen, and I would feel uncomfortable with that"

"What about Sydney?" Tom cut in, eyes bright with excitement.

"What, Sydney Australia?" you asked, confused.

"No, Sydney. My cousin. She has a barn"

"You want to get married in a barn?"

"Why not? It'll be cheap, it'll be private. You love horses"

"Yeah, but aren't you allergic?"

"The things I do for love" he teased.

"Ugh, you sap" you groaned, pretending to gag. You'd been to Sydney's stables a few times, and they were beautiful, if a bit small. "Could we? I mean, would she do it?"

Space They Cannot TouchOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara