Chapter 113: Phineas Was Right

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 113: Phineas Was Right

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

The shrill alarm sounded in the distance waking every soul that wasn't awake already. That wasn't' waiting for this day to come.

There was a possibility that it was a false alarm, but he knew it was unlikely.

This was it.

The final battle.

He didn't think he'd feel dread upon this day's arrival. He'd been expecting it since Lily's death, since his beginnings as a spy. He'd always said this day would be welcomed since it would be a day he would be free and his soul redeemed as much as it could be.

There were no feelings of freedom or peace in him at all, so he had to be pragmatic. He would focus on winning his battles and completing his tasks. The boy would die at the proper moment, hopefully killing the Dark Lord as well. This would be a betrayal to Lily again.

At least he wouldn't likely be alive to see it.

A small clicking noise made him turn from the window. He raised his wand and pointed it at the door. With the news of Potter near Hogwarts, anyone could coup now. He was alone on the side that thought of him as an enemy.

The door of his office opened and a disillusioned body moved inside and towards him without any caution.

"Don't move," he said and noticed the shadow halt, making it more invisible to his eyes.

He approached the shadow, keeping his wand pointed at it. Despite their idiot actions lately, none of the professors was stupid enough to try to attack him like this.

He stopped walking.

"Remove your spell."

His eyebrows arched when he heard a small giggle in response. And then, he distinguished a cautious movement from the shadow.

He lowered his arm as she appeared in front of him.

"Hermione..." He found himself whispering. His voice became muffled when the witch threw herself at him, embracing him and resting her face under his neck. Was this real?

After all those months without knowing how she was she... she was here. Wasn't she? "It's really you?"

"Yes, it's me. You showed me your memories last year." Her voice resonated against his chest.

He couldn't think of anything else but wrapping his arms around her, burying his face at the top of her head, and holding her. He didn't think he'd ever have the chance to see her, much less embrace her, again.

"You crazy witch with your dragon riding and your..." He kissed the top of her head. "It almost killed me not knowing about you. After Malfoy's house and seeing that blood I...."

"I'm here. I'm sorry for worrying you. I lost my bag and now..." She shivered and raised her head to look at him. "I'm okay. I've fully recovered. I know coming here put everyone in danger but I needed to see you." She gave him a soft smile.