Chapter 46: A Greater Fool

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 46: A Greater Fool

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

November, 1996

The liquid in the cauldron started to simmer as soon as the blood mixed with the new experimental potion he was trying to create to slow down Dumbledore's curse. He hoped this one worked. But potion making was never an exact science. Each new curse and each person could respond differently. Having his blood eased things and made the success more likely.

He added the chopped Lady Slipper root and began stirring the mix clockwise with a metal rod. Slow, patient. If he hurried, he would ruin it. He had to keep an eye on every change so he could fix it if something went wrong.

But for now, all was working fine.

"Severus," a small voice accompanied the noise of his laboratory's door opening. Dumbledore entered the laboratory with slow, heavy steps. With this potion, he might be able to walk a bit lighter and feel a little better.

"Please, take a seat, sir. The potion is still not ready"

He followed his directions, letting himself fall on the chair. At least he didn't have to feign about his condition in here. Manipulator or not, the headmaster was still a man suffering, and for the sake of others, had to put on a facade to appear strong and invincible.

"How are you feeling? Any changes?"

"The same," he replied as Severus heard the sound of rustling robes.

From the corner of his eye, he noticed the old man's upper body. The curse had passed his shoulder, reaching half of his chest. Swallowing at the view, he returned to the potion as he heard the rustle again. There was no need of words.

"Since the other potions slowed the process, this might give you more time and less pain." He stopped stirring and turned off the fire, letting the potion rest.

He organized his tools and with a cleaning spell, all appeared like new. He then dared to turn around to look the headmaster in the eye. He knew how hard it was to fake not being in pain. He'd had to do it many times.

It was necessary to survive.

"I heard about Malfoy's attempt to kill me. The boy has started to move."

Their eyes met but Severus didn't find fear or concern in the blue eyes.

"Yes. Miss Bell's curse was removed from her brain but she is still recovering."

"We are lucky to have you. I assume you didn't know about this plan?" the old man asked as he put one of his hands on his chest, probably trying to calm his pain.

"Unfortunately, I did not," he replied sternly. He felt like his loyalty was being tested.

"Don't look at me that way, my boy. I meant no ill."

Letting a grunt out from his throat and distracted himself with putting up his tools.

"I am doing what I can without having to kidnap the boy and tie him to a chair. It's tempting, but if I treated that boy poorly, it would get back to the Dark Lord. The brat is almost as bad as Potter."

He raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

Snape looked over his shoulder at him. "I said, almost."

He heard a short laugh, but Dumbledore said nothing.

He looked to the cauldron instead of the tired headmaster.

He grabbed his wand and summoned the contents into a cup. The texture and colour looked perfectly mixed with the base. No rejection occurred after the resting time, which was a good sign. He offered the potion to the headmaster.

The old man grabbed it with his healthy hand and raised it with a smile, as if he was trying to toast him. He took a sip, grimaced, and then swallowed the contents of the cup in two large gulps. "Thank you. It tastes horrible though. Perhaps in the future you could make a lemon flavored one."

"We will see if the spreading slows," Severus said, ignoring the joke. "You will have to tell me before it reaches another limb of yours instead of hiding it." There was a hint of annoyance in his voice. The desire to point out his irresponsibility in this matter was too hard to resist.

"I just don't want to worry anyone. The pain is already receding, so I assume this will do its intended job."

"Still check yourself. Even if it doesn't hurt it doesn't mean you aren't being affected from the inside." He opened the cabinet, searching for a strengthening potion. When he found it, he snatched it and closed the cabinet. "This will help you to recover faster. You don't look well. I'm surprised no one noticed."

The old man took the vial and shrugged. "I'm as good of an actor as you, Severus."

It was questionable whether Dumbledore was as good of an actor, but he was definitely a greater fool.

AN: Coldness, anger but...Severus cares. Hope you liked it. I know I said I wasn't going to post this week and it's a small chapter but I noticed that Christmas is coming so...chaos schedule is near too. Hope you enjoyed and let me know what you think. Until Saturday!