Chapter 24: Talking to a blizzard. Nothing serious.

Start from the beginning

And when she tried to focus on the Black Knight that wielded a lance bathed in radiant light, a bad feeling slithered its way into her mind through her most basic instincts, but then, something took her focus away.

One of the puppets had started talking about unnecessary things.

Things that could ruin her master's play.

"Truly pathetic...puppets should just be happy to be used by master and not bother her. Ice let your seeds bloom and...bring them to that quiet place...[Ice Garden of Silence]."

She extended her hand towards the puppets who were far away and activated her spell. Moments later, an ice flower began to sprout in the throats of all the puppets that were captured by those strangers.

But then something happened.

Bryn saw as the Black Knight extended her hand, an ominous power flowing through it and then...

"N...?!"

...the connection to her magic was broken. Bryn shivered and felt what could be called a phantom pain as the backlash of such thing flowed through her. Still, she fixed her sight once more on the puppets and there she saw it, her spell was no more, the ice flowers...were gone.

She couldn't believe it even if she was seeing it with her own eyes.

But that was truth.

Someone...

"...dares to break my magic...unacceptable...!"

Her mana started to leak out as her fury grew, forming a visible icy blue aura that covered her and affected her surroundings. The wild winds roared even harder and the cold grew worse.

And so, she focused on the one responsible, but the more she focused on the Black Knight, the more that bad feeling grew, and she concluded that it was someone that needed to be dealt with immediately.

For she knew that that strange power that let them break her magic was dangerous.

Even if the puppets just died after uttering a few words and touching the lance. Even if she found that last part strange and worth investigating. Nothing else mattered. If her master's play was to be undisturbed, then she had to finish them quickly and in an unexpected matter.

"[Enhance elemental magic: Ice], [Maximize travelling speed: Magic] [Enhance: Armor-Piercing] [Draconic Force] [Strength of the Eternal Winter] Oh Ice...make me a spearpoint that shall pierce the earth and heavens..."

After she called upon several buffing skills, she extended her hand and chanted her spell. Then, the mana that recoiled around her flowed through it and created an icicle seemingly big enough to not only pierce through that Black Knight, but also crush them and everyone else there.

"...[Ice Piercer]."

Thus, she readied her aim, finished her chant, and fired it.

Confidence filled her as she expected nothing but success, for the element of surprise and raw power were on her side.

But something unexpected happened again.

"...!"

The black-haired woman that closely followed the Black Knight cut the icicle in half with an impressive speed.

Once again, her expectations were shattered, but this time it carried a nostalgic feeling.

She focused on the woman.

Her strength was different.

Her speed was different.

Her body was obviously different.