Flash back...

???'s POV: About 1000 years ago...

I can not live without her...

She has gone, gone forever.

She broke her promise...

No, It's not her fault. It's mine. I wasn't able to save her. It was my job to save and protect her.

What's the meaning of living anymore? Life is worthless. Without her... Why am I even alive?

My mind was full of thoughts... I kept walking and walking. I can feel the demons inside screaming at me. For losing my mate. Or... Our mate!

I don't deserve her. The innocent her. She had done nothing wrong.

We've promised to... Be together forever...

I kept walking and walking. My whole body was circled by the demons that lived in me. They were angry at me for being weak. Losing the only thing they cared for or loved. Her only... Suddenly I felt as if my body was on fire. It was hurting terribly... But it also eased the pain in my heart... The physical pain was definitely easier to deal with, compared to the hole in my heart.

Am I in hell?

I looked up, realizing that I have walked into the furnace where they burn the prisoners.

I am a prisoner. Prisoner of her.

"Ardwyad! Get out of there!" I heard my mother scream my name.

.
.
.

120 years later...

120 years went past... I thought I would die and be free from the earth. But I guess Father wanted to torture me longer.

"Why don't you just kill yourself?" The soldier asked for the billionth time. The questions were always like,

"Are gonna go look for her? If you got out of here?"

"Do you still wanna live?"

All those questions just seem like shit to me. I hate myself. For 120 years I've been locked inside this cell full of vervain. It's not as if I can't get out. Just that the physical pain seems to ease the pain in my chest.

I think it's about time to face reality.

I looked up at the soldier.

"I won't kill myself."

The two soldiers stared at each other for about like one whole minute. Next, one of them disappeared in a "whoosh' sound. For about 5 minutes, he returned.

"Your... your majesty. The King, the king said that you may come out so... I... I will bring you some nice clothes." He said nervously.

The other one unlocked the door carefully. The moment the door was unlocked. The chains all fell off, so did the vervain ropes.

I'm free. We're free.

My demons seem to overwhelm me again.

Before the chains even hit the floor. I dashed out the cage. Before the soldier had time to react. I pulled his heart out and drank his blood down without hesitation. Vampire's blood didn't taste good, but better than rotten worms.

"Thank you. You've always been nice to me." I whispered without any tone of guilt.

I feel my body warm up with power.

I had one place I must go.

I heard the other soldier storm in, smelling his partner's blood. He stared at his partner's body, and then at me with blood all over my face.

"How... How... Can you even move... You should be too weak even walk..." He trembled as he said those words.

In a 'whoosh' sound, I stood beside the soldier and smiled.

"Did you forget? I am the King of Darkness!" I whispered beside his ears with my hand already inside his chest. I pulled the heart out and then ran... To one destination.

.
.
.
Finally, I was there. He was sound asleep with Mother safe in his arms. I felt anger build up every second.

Then I stabbed my right arm into his chest.

"Ugh!" He groaned loudly. Blood gushing out. Covering the whole bed. Of course, Mother woke up as well. "Guards!"

"Tobias?" She whispered as a flash of guilt appeared on her face.

"Good morning, Mother. Also...Long time no sees, Father or no, your majesty." I said through gritted teeth.

"My son..." He called out in a weak whisper.

"Son..." I said, then gave a cold chuckle. "No one would treat their son the way you did to me.'"Then I squeezed his heart tighter. He groaned again. "This is how I felt for 120 years. EVERY DAY AND EVERY NIGHT! EVERY SECOND!" I squeezed his heart even harder.

"Now all I have to do is to just pull your heart..."

"No! No! Ardwyad... This is not you... Don't let the darkness win! For the sake of me... Do not kill him please!" I heard Mother beg me. I can tell these 120 years were hard for her too. It looks like she has aged. "I can't lose him."

I hesitated. No one moved, no one talked.

"Fine!" I shouted with authority. "I will not kill you, but I will lock you in the same cell you locked me in. Only for the sake of Mother!" I pulled my arm out in 1 second and left him coughing out black blood. Before walking out, I turned around and looked at my "father" as hateful as I can. 

"You know what, dear FATHER of mine. I will torture you. I will torture you every day, until the day, Katerina and I become king and queen. Then, on that day, I will kill you, slowly."

Then I stormed out of the room with my bloody right arm. When I opened the door, the hallway was crowded with people, and they all bowed, saying:

"Long live the King of Darkness!"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _