| five |

Reece Winston

Reece Winston

"So your name is Greed?" I ask him, uncomfortably adjusting myself on his couch.

It was getting a bit chilly outside and my body was quite sensitive so it reacted to everything. The cold was making me shiver despite it being sixty seven degrees outside. I was thankful though because Greed, what a strange name, suggested we go inside.

He tossed the cigarette onto the floor and squished it behind his feet before turning and walking inside with me behind him.

So here we are inside what I assume is his house. I didn't know why he came to our coffee shop if he was that rich. I mean, everyone who I knew that was wealthy in money went to Starbucks but then again Starbucks had really good coffee. Either way, it was weird but so was Greed.

I didn't know the guy for long but it was weird that he saved me in my time of need when it seemed like his only goal when I met him for the first time was to annoy me and get under my skin.

"Right," he replied, spreading his legs and leaning forward as he put each individual elbow on each individual knee.

"What kind of name is Greed," I mumble.

I'm dumb. What I should've done was thank him and be on my way but instead I decided to insult the man that saved me from potential death.

I expected him to get irritated but instead he quirked the brow on the right side of his face and leaned back against the soft furniture.

"What kind of name is Reece?" He retorts, "replace the 'c' with an 's' and you become a piece of candy."

I glare at him because I hated being referenced to a candy item that I didn't even like. I've been picked on and taunted too many times while being called Reese's or Reese's Cup and it gets under my skin every time.

"At least I'm not named after one of the seven deadly sins. What? Do you have a brother named Wrath?" I spat back.

He suddenly frowned and became serious and that was bad because this man looked scary when he was serious. His facial features were tensely straightened out and his lips were straight in a line. The dangerous vibe I gathered from him was coming back to me and it made realize that I should not be here.

I didn't know him and yet I was in his house arguing with him? Was I completely crazy? I might be.

"My brother died," is what he said and I felt bad instantly.

"O-oh, I—sorry, I didn't mean to—"

He snorts and snickers lightly and thats when I realize that I'd been fooled this whole time.

"You're just too easy," he laughs lightly.

It wasn't a full blown out laugh, you know the kind of laugh you hear from your thick in stature uncle that comes to visit every thanksgiving. It was a light laugh that wasn't too carefree and had some restraint to it as if he was holding himself back from being happy. His eyes crinkled at the side and his lips barley lifted as he laughed and it made me wonder if he laughed often at all.

Whenever I saw someone laugh, it looked like they were joyous and their eyes would sparkle and light up in some way as cheesy as it sounds but he was different. His eyes seemed to remain...dull. They lacked any real emotion but he always appeared to be playful or mischievous, at least that's what I've witnessed thus far.

I didn't want to overthink it but I couldn't help it when I was around him even though I hardly spent time with him and he was a stranger who I didn't know the name of up until now.

"Can you take me home?" I ask him, knowing how late it was getting from the fading light outside.

"What am I going to get in return?" He smirks as he leans forward, laying his chin on the palm of his hand as he lays his elbow on his right knee, the action caused his forearm to flex slightly and I looked down at my lap.

I didn't know why I continued to react like this when it came to him. I mean, I wasn't completely straight and I could admit to that but I didn't really think I was gay. But then why did Greed look...hot? I shake my head as a blush spreads across my cheeks. No way did I call another man hot. I can't believe that I, Reece Winston, just thought that another man was attractive.

I was starting to think like my younger sister, Rae, who was absolutely boy crazy. If she saw Greed I'm sure she'd have jumped on him in ten seconds flat which I would've rolled my eyes at any other time but for some reason I felt like keeping Greed a secret. I didn't know why but I didn't want to show him to anyone because he was attractive and anyone with eyes would flirt with him.

The breath that I was releasing gets caught in my throat as I blink back to my current position and notice Greeds face directly in front of mine. He was too close and I could smell his breath that was mixed with cigarettes and mint. I hated cigarettes but for some reason it felt tantalizing.

Looking into his eyes was a mistake because they were so brown but a unique brown I'd never seen before. I wanted to look into them forever but that would be weird and I didn't want him to think that I was weird or anything, not that I valued his opinion or anything.

The next thing my eyes focused on were his lips that were stretching upwards and I knew he was wearing that signature smirk of his that was oddly growing on me which was bad because Greed reeked with the odor of bad news.

I didn't want any type of trouble as this was my senior year of high school and yet as I looked at Greed it was almost certain that that's all he would bring.

'Leave, Reece,' is what I told myself but my legs defied me and I sat there like an idiot as I looked at Greed. Then he did the unthinkable.

He kissed me.

And it begins.

~xoxo, Babybird

~xoxo, Babybird.