Arc 5.22 Empress of Four Kingdoms

Start from the beginning

When they sat down, the girls didn't forget to take a few glances at Li Feifei's figure. Even though it seemed theoretically impossible as Li Feifei was a walking bundle of layers and layers of fabric, they had to admit that the red wedding dress only added to her allure and the veil covering her visage added on an air of seductive mystery.

Of course, the Empress Dowager was already not pleased with this child of hers that had ruined all of her plans the moment he turned against his now dead ex-fiancée. Now that he brought some foreign woman home, how could she show any goodwill? Even more laughable was the fact that Li Feifei was older than her son.

Despite their earlier faltering, the girls that the Empress Dowager had invited were not ordinary. In fact, two of them were twins from the eastern artistic Shi Kingdom and the other was from the western Zhao Kingdom known for their excellent trade networking. Since Hua Shen had cut off all of her arms and legs from the Hua Kingdom, she simply had to look outside of Hua! It wasn't as if he could deride her, as he took in a foreign woman himself.

The time Hua Shen had left was long enough for her to reach out for the foreign forces. In fact, the girls currently in the hall were daughters of the emissaries that had been waiting for a hearing from Hua Shen for a long while now.

The intention behind them bringing their daughters was obvious. The emissaries were not just any ministers in their respective kingdoms, either. The Shi Kingdom had sent over their most esteemed and only prime minister and his twin daughters, while the Zhao Kingdom had sent over their celebrated navy commander and his only daughter.

They were all the same age as Hua Shen, and in the Empress Dowager's opinion, they were much more suited to him than Li Feifei in age and resources.

This thought was enough for anyone to confidently say that age truly wore one down. How could anyone's qualification best Li Feifei's? Li Feifei was not only a princess; her father would unquestionably give her the entire kingdom on a silver platter the moment she asked for it ah! Not only that, but the fact that Li was also a military kingdom was enough to entice all of the ministers of Hua whether or not they were interested in the unification of the four kingdoms!

Unfortunately, girls tended to believe that they were better than everyone else. This was only further strengthened by the Empress Dowager's encouraging remarks prior to Hua Shen's and Li Feifei's arrival. As some small gossip had passed around amongst the group of women with Hua Shen sitting silently attending to Li Feifei, Li Feifei had long taken off her veil and revealed her flawless face. Although the girls were envious of her beauty, they couldn't help but sneer at the Empress Dowager's callous statement as she "thoughtfully" advised Hua Shen.

"Ah Shen should think about taking in a few Imperial Concubines. After all, there will always be a time when the flowers in the garden will wilt. That is why it is customary that the Emperor always takes in fresh buds every year or half-year."

As she spoke of wilting flowers and whatnot, Li Feifei did not miss the Empress Dowager's eyes full of mockery glancing her way. In response, Li Feifei simply covered her mouth with her hand as she let out a tired and unamused yawn. Even someone like her, who did not excel in poetry, could understand what the Empress Dowager was implying. However, it really did not matter because it was true. She was older than the Empress Dowager's great-great-grandma ah!

But what was even more of a shocker was that her man was even older than all of this world's dynasties combined!

Unlike Li Feifei's uncaring and dismissive attitude, however, Hua Shen felt that he should be the only one who could make his baby suffer a loss no matter how big or small. How could he let the Empress Dowager go? He knew Li Feifei was waiting for the other girls in the room to throw in some punches, so they could get slapped in the face later, but he wanted to at least get one slap in himself.