Arc 4.24 Queen Mother

About a month after Alex and Nile returned to the colonies, the funeral for Lily and Taina was finally held after both families finally finished the preparations.

As for the families' views over their deaths, they were naturally not pleased and demanded explanations.

Lily's death was "justified" as before the Rigels could keep the fact that she had killed a fellow comrade in the dark, Duke had already released the news that she was no longer human backed by the evidence of her body that had the yellow blood of the aliens. With the power of the Fomalhaut family behind him, the Rigels could not stop the leakage.

As for the Fomalhauts' stance on Taina's death, they demanded compensation from the Rigel family. As one of the leading families how could they not be aware of the Rigels' attempts at trying to topple them? From the moment the first wife of Michael Aldebaran, Alex's father, died by his own hands, the Fomalhaut family already connected the dots. It was clear that the current mistress was sent by the Rigel family to cut off the Fomalhaut-Aldebaran connection that had been in existence for generations. It worked, but to the current Fomalhaut head the Aldebaran family was simply a pretty vase not worth investing in with Michael leading it.

While Henry Fomalhaut truly was distraught over his only daughter's death, as the head of the family he had to put the family before his own daughter which was ironic as his daughter was "family." So, he took advantage of the fact that Lily had killed Taina to cripple the Rigel family by asking for a hefty sum. They also fanned the flames between the Rigel and Betelgeuse families. This was in retaliation for coming in between their own family and the Aldebarans. That, and to cut off the Rigel's right hand as the Betelgeuse family had the most say amongst the four families since the head, Nile's grandfather, was the Grand Marshall of the entire military.

By ruining the longstanding relationship between the Rigel and Betelgeuse families, the Rigel family was sure to suffer much worse than when the Fomalhauts cut off ties with the Aldebarans.

Anyway, John Rigel--Lily's father and the head of the Rigel family--hadn't seen even a shadow of Nile's figure prior to the funeral. So, when he finally saw that man walk in with a nonchalant face as his arms wrapped possessively around Alex's waist, he exploded.

There were many reasons for his outburst. For one, Nile as Lily's fiancé was supposed to protect her. Second, he broke off their engagement without telling anyone as soon as he returned to the colonies--and very cleanly at that. Not only was Lily dead, Nile also threw out old evidence of Lily's scandals that were hidden by her and her family. She already lost her virginity before she was sixteen, when the two were engaged since childhood.

Those were just the small stuff, as both families didn't really care for such insignificant reasons to break off a business marriage. Of course, Nile didn't neglect to throw in the more professional details in order to discourage the Betelgeuse from maintaining a friendly relationship with the Rigels. Over the years, the Rigels had always wanted to topple the other three families so that they could reign supreme, so it wasn't hard to find evidence of their actions that impended the Betelgeuse house. Unfortunately, while it wasn't hard, it sure did take time to collect enough.

As opposed to Lily's numerous sex scandals, the original Nile met Alex when he was fourteen and actually kept himself clean for his beloved.

The last reason for John's outburst was that even if the engagement fell through due to Lily's unforeseen death, Nile should have still been tied to the Rigel household by marriage to another daughter of the family but he was playing around with some broad right after he was "free!" And even worse was that they seemed extremely familiar with each other like they'd been together for years, which made John assume that Nile was a hypocrite who criticized Lily for infidelity when he himself was seeing other women during his engagement.