Page Forty-Four; The Romance of the Champion

The ship pushed off from Erable Island and made coarse for the next one. While they went on their way, the second part of the first round went on, and they all waited to see who they would compete against. "Welcome, one and all, to the second part of the first round of the La Clave Islands battle cruise!" The audience all cheered. "Let's not waste any time and announce our fighters, huh? First up today, we have Logan versus Gabriel! Then, we have Percy against Alexander, then after them is Brooke against Charles. Then, finishing up the first round is Vincent facing Charlotte." Brooke felt herself smile and she looked over at Charlie. The last time she'd faced him in a real competitive battle is when they first met. "I won't go easy on you, Charlie, just because we're friends." 

"I would expect no less, Brooklyn." He smiled and nodded back. They both looked over at Logan. "Good luck, Logan! You've got this." 

"Use some of that strategy I suggested, Logan." Charles said as he walked past them. "Don't worry, guys, we've got this!" Logan smiled and made his way to the battlefield. Gabriel was a tall, pale man with dark green eyes, neat dirty blond hair, and purple glasses. "This will be a one-on-one battle. The match will be over when one side's pokemon is no longer able to battle. Are both trainers ready?" The ref asked, and they both nodded, taking a pokeball off their belt. "Release your pokemon." Gabriel released a sawsbuck in its spring form, and Orval jumped from Logan's side onto the field. "Battle, start!"

They both were fighting hard, it was obvious that it was an even match. "Sawsbuck, use energy ball!" The sawsbuck gathered energy in a bright greenish ball and shot it at Orval. "Protect, Orval!" A large blue shield went up around Orval, but the energy ball still persisted. "Keep it up, Orval! You've got this!" 

"Aaaaaaarooooonn!" He struggled, but suddenly a bright light filled the outdoor stadium. Orval began changing shape. He became much longer and ridges started to develop on his back. His legs became thicker and more defined, and the shield over his face became flatter. The glowing and changing stopped and he roared. "Laaaaaiiirroon!" 

"Whoa!" 

"Orval evolved into Lairon!" Charles exclaimed, excitedly. "Yes! This trip is coming up all Logan!" Logan cheered excitedly. "Great job, Orval! Now use rock slide and finish this!" A tumble of rocks appeared from the sky and fell around Sawsbuck, fainting it. "Sawsbuck is unable to battle! The winners are Logan and his Lairon, Orval!" The ref called and everyone cheered. Gabriel and Logan shook hands and returned to the trainers' dugout. "That was awesome, Logan! Congrats!" 

"Thanks! It was all Orval. Now he's a big strong Lairon!" 

Percy and Alexander were next. Percy was a shorter man with some freckles and dark, neat brown hair, and deep brown eyes with tan skin. Alexander was a pale guy with reddish brown hair and brown eyes as well, and had a very sporty style. Percy used a Sableye and Alexander used a Conkeldurr. It was a tough match, but Sableye's smaller size and sneaky moves made it a swifter opponent, which won Percy the match in the end. Next up, it was Charles and Brooke. "Remember what happened last time we had a real battle, Charles!" Brooke teased playfully from the other side of the field. "Yes, but I know you now, Brooklyn, and I won't be so easy to beat." He replied. "Are both trainers ready?" 

"Yes." They replied at the same time. "Then hold out your chosen pokeball." Brooke thought for a moment, then picked a ball off her belt. "Release your pokemon!" 

"Go Ophelia!" Charles released his partnered Dratini. "Oshima, I choose you!" Brooke released her trusty Typhlosion. "Battle begin!" 

"Oshima, use Swift!" 

"Dodge it, Ophelia! Use Aqua tail!" It was a hit, and super effective. "Defense curl, Oshima! Then swift again!" It was a hit this time. "Dragon tail, Ophelia!" The dratini's tail glowed purple and she swung it at Oshima, sending him backwards. "Roll, Oshima!" He tucked himself into a ball as best he could and rolled on the ground, sliding back on his feet, minimizing the damage. "Now, swift again!" As the attack hit, Ophelia began glowing and Brooke's eyes went wide. The opposing dragon type became much longer and taller wings developed on the sides of her head, and her spike became longer, and several blue orbs developed on her neck and tail. The glowing stopped and Brooke and Oshima were stunned to see Ophelia had evolved into dragonair.