Chapter 1: X marks the spot

For the longest I can remember, there was a mysterious X on the back of my hand near my pinky. A black X that was probably there since I was born, and when I tried to tell my family about it, they told me they could see anything there. The first time, I believed there was nothing and I was probably seeing things, but it never went away. I decided not to tell them again, in hopes they wouldn't think I was insane, especially since I wasn't always on their good side.

My family consisted of two parents and three older sisters who were one of the most sophisticated people of the town of Selcouth*, where I was born and grew up for 20 years of my life. It was one of those places where everything seemed perfect and everyone was a shining example of what a model citizen should be. If you were someone like me, you'd realize this place would be an example in the dictionary under the word "bullshit". Everyone here was so false, you'd cringe at the most fabricated smile.

My family seemed like the most fake of them all, with my parents acting like they care about me with my sisters when we're in the public eye when in reality, when no one is watching, they pretend I don't exist or have any say. Made me wonder whether I actually was a part of this family or they just adopted me out of pity. Even when I tried to open myself to my sisters, Francine, Madeline, and Priscilla, they don't see me as a sister but another girl who happens to live with them. I almost felt like I would never be loved or wanted or capable of doing anything myself.

When I'm not thinking about my so-called "family", I ponder about the X that is marked on my hand. Why is it there? What does it mean? Were there others that might have the same X on them? If so, where would they be? But most days I try not to dwell on it to keep my family from making things worse for me. Wouldn't even matter after what I realized what they were planning to do with my future.

*Selcouth (n.): Where everything feels strange and different.

This is my 1st fanfiction inspired by one of my friends on Twitter, Shadowofalexsow and I hope that some people might enjoy it because it is a type of representation of what the Royal Council is to me and I hope some people will think the same. More to come soon. 😊👍