ch. 10 - trust me

'They witnessed her destruction,

Then were left to wonder why,

She saw nothing but darkness,

Though the stars shone in her eyes,

But maybe they'd forgotten,

When they failed to see the cracks,

That a star's light shines the brightest,

When it's starting to collapse'

-e.h.

||||

Much to her distaste, Dumbledore had sent Adeline for a check-up with Madame Pomphrey after the happenings of the past night. Of course, as he was 'far too busy' to tell her this in person, he instead sent it by Owl. It was odd, for he always had to do something, though whenever she'd ask him what had to be done, he'd never tell her even the slightest of details.

The letter had said that she'd still be able to attend her morning classes afterward, to which consisted of extra charms. These added Charms lessons were to boost her knowledge of simple spells to catch up with the rest of the curriculum—as she was a few years behind everyone else. This was the same with her other three current classes, however she merely had to read and study on the school books for those other subjects, though her determination was helping immensely. If she weren't placed into Gryffindor for the reason of Harry basically being her body guard, Adeline would likely be in the house of Slytherin.

Or Hufflepuff.

Probably Hufflepuff.

However, this check-up did not go for only 'five minutes', and instead went for a few hours for an unknown reason, thus giving her limited time for the school's lunch hour—to which ten minutes now remained, leaving Adeline to dash through the halls that became more familiar to her as each day went along. It was surprisingly quiet when she reached the last corner—usually voices were echoing from the Great Hall and anyone would be able to hear it from staircases away, halting her running as she turned said corner, drawing multiple pairs of eyes to her.

McGonagall and Umbridge stood on a set of stone steps just outside the great hall, a crowd of students before them, including Harry, Ron and Hermione, the latter motioning her to join them as everyone parted their ways, talk arousing once again.

||||

Adeline exceeded in Potions, no matter the swirl in her stomach whenever she would be near a bubbling cauldron of any kind—Dumbledore had previously explained this as her 'dark magic' reacting to the sight, as it had come from a potion itself. This proved odd to her, though at least there was a slight theorised explanation.

Umbridge, with her new position of 'High Inquisitor', had been going around to all Professors during their classes, analysing and questioning unfairly their methods of teaching. Adeline was in the dark and rather murky Potions room along with the other Gryffindor and Slytherin fifth years—Umbridge as well.

Said pink lady had spoken to Snape and had brought up a few laughs at their conversation, Ron and Harry getting whacked with a book from the Potions Professor for sniggering to one another, though their grins remained.

Adeline hadn't paid attention to the exchange, even if it occurred right next to her spot beside Harry, as her focus remained on brewing the assigned potion. She poured the vibrant green brew with a large spoon into a smaller, ceramic bowl as previously instructed.