ch. 6 - problem

'She was made of a magic that only I could see' 

–Atticus

||||

Harry did not understand. Usually, it was normal to hear this; Harry didn't understand quite a bit... okay, a lot, but this time, he hadn't even a clue. Adeline hadn't joined the Gryffindor's for the rest of their classes, but he didn't blame her; the way everyone acted so cold to her, the way people treated her as if she was nothing special, as if she was ordinary, to which she was far from... in Harry's opinion.

She was unique, she was a mystery, she was someone Harry needed; someone he could trust with all his heart. It was odd, though; He trusted her with his life, but he had only known her a few days, that's what was so... mysterious, so alluring. She fascinated him and vice versa, almost as if they were meant to meet, as if they were destined to befriend one another.

Coming to this conclusion, Harry still had one question, and a very good one at that; If she's so lovely, if she's really this sweet... Why on earth do Hermione and Ron not trust her?

Come to think of it, they never said they didn't trust her, but they never showed they did, either. Harry was rather good at picking up on what people don't say but what they mean, and in situations like this, he was grateful for this, rather common, ability.

He was currently in History of Magic, which was, in his opinion, the best time to think and gather your thoughts. However, if you didn't have thoughts racing in your mind, it was rather... boring (Don't tell Hermione; he and Ron once complained and she didn't shut up about it for a whole week).

Unfortunately, there was only one way he could find out what their problem was with Adeline, and that was to ask them; the one thing Harry was reluctant about, but was determined to do.

Only then could he get the truth.

||||

After the last class of the day, Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking back to the Gryffindor common room. Harry wasn't sure; should he ask them now? He can't possibly ask them in the common room; what if he made a scene? He can't ask during dinner; there would be too many people around, and it would certainly make Adeline feel uncomfortable.

Mustering up all the courage he could manage, he opened his mouth, but hesitated and closed it again. After doing this twice more, he knew it wasn't going to work, and instead counted down in his head;

Five...

"So, Harry, what are you thinking the third task will be?" Hermione asked, looking at Harry.

Four...

"I mean, you don't think it'll be too dangerous, do you?" However, Harry continued the silent counting in his head, not saying a word back to Hermione.

Three...

"Well, he's already gotten through two; what can be worse than fighting a dragon and almost drowning?" Ron reasoned, though not very persuasively, Hermione turning her head a bit to look at Ron, who was on the other side of Harry.

Two...

"I do agree that it may not be as brutal, but the third task basically decides the winner; it's got to be challenging, considering the prizes..."

One.

"OK, what's your problem?" Harry burst out rather aggressively.

"Excuse me?" Hermione replied, looking offended.

"Don't play dumb! You and Ron are treating Adeline like she's some sort of Freak-show!" He retorted, Hermione looking in front of her guiltily.

"We are not! You're just imagining things..." Ron lied, defending Hermione and himself.

"Don't lie! I see the way you two look at her, I see the way you try to be as far away from her as possible! You only met her this morning and you're acting like she's some sort of enemy!" Harry backfired, trying to restrain his voice from getting any louder, considering there were still other students around.

"Well... You only met her Five days ago, and you're acting as if she's your best friend, Harry!" Hermione snapped, glaring back as Ron awkwardly listened and didn't even bother to shut them up.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Harry spat, now stopping in his tracks to turn and glare at Hermione, who had also stopped.

She, instead of responding, opened and closed her mouth a few times, obviously hesitating, before mustering;

"Well, what if she's... bad?" Her voice a bit more aggressive than before; as people started noticing their argument, they silenced their conversations and turned to the three, Ron grabbing both Hermione and Harry's arms and quickly dragging them around the corner into an abandoned hallway, letting them have more secrecy.

"Bad? You're mental! I know for a fact that she..." Nevertheless, Hermione cut him off, her voice more sympathetic, though it still had a sense of firmness; superiority.

"Harry, you really shouldn't just go trusting her like this! I mean, she seems kind and is rather attractive, so I see why you would trust her; I would too, but there's just something about her, Harry, I'm sure of it. I just don't want you to be hurt, both physically and mentally..."

He went to interject, but she continued, this time with more harshness;

"Remember what happened with Christine?"

She had crossed a line; Harry's face turned from anger to hurt.

"I've told you before, stop bringing her up! It was my fault I got hurt, I shouldn't have trusted her, I GET IT!" He shouted, Hermione's stern expression not faltering at his tone.

"No, I won't, because it's a perfect fit for this situation! You trust too easily, Harry, that's the problem! You trust people and wind up getting hurt; it's Christine all over again!"

Harry huffed frustratingly and walked swiftly to the nearby window, resting his hands on it. Hermione came behind him and placed her hand upon his shoulder, only for him to shrug it off.

"For goodness sake, Harry, Adeline just suddenly turns up, out of the Black Lake for all places, and you go telling her your life story after only a few days of knowing her... I mean, is she really trustworthy? With everything going on; the Tri-Wizard tournament... for all we know, she could be bad, just like Christine last year. I don't want you to be hurt again..."

"I wasn't hurt..."

"You didn't come out of your dormitory for a week."

Remembering Ron was still there, Harry turned around to face Ron.

"And what do you think about all... this!?"

Ron flinched, looking like a deer caught in headlights, before looking sheepish and putting his hands in his pockets.

"Well... I mean, Hermione's got a fair point, you know... But you do too, I mean, you know her the best, but still, there's a possibility of her being like Christine; a traitor... Someone who wasn't your friend in the first place... But that's just it. This is our problem, guys..." Ron sighed, walking closer to Hermione and Harry, facing the latter;

"You trust too easily and she has trust issues..."