ch. 1 - adeline

'She was afraid of heights, but she was much more afraid of never flying' –Atticus

||||

Gasping for breath, she felt cool air reach her lungs, opening her eyes as desperate and fearful as waking up from a night terror, she almost shut them instantly for a bright, white light took up her vision. Though she didn't, but would've if she didn't see the silhouette above her.

"Ah. You're awake. Thank you, Poppy, but if you could grab Minerva and Severus, that would be ever so kind." What she assumed was an elderly man spoke. She heard a huff and a sound she could just decipher as a door shutting, causing her to jump, even if it was not slammed.

She sat up instantly, and, keeping her eyes on the man, her vision finally cleared; she was in a room with lots of white beds and a tall ceiling, large windows letting bright light seep through. Having seen her piercing grey eyes, he now was certain of his assumption of her identity. The man had rather fancy (Or, normal, to her) purple robes on, as well as a white beard and clear moon spectacles, a kind expression full of determination.

Her heart beating fast, she scooted away from him, though not for long, as she had eventually fallen fully off of the white bed she had been lying on. His lips twitched slightly, but his light blue eyes showed curiosity as she stood up almost instantly from the floor, stumbling as she backed away from the man.

She squinted as she walked in the way of one of the large windows, covering her eyes slightly with her hands as the bright light stung her eyes. But then, she gasped rather suddenly, walking over to the window, to see beautiful rolling hills and trees, part of a castle in sight. She assumed she was in this castle, and was correct.

Turning back to the man, she pointed outside. If it had not been Professor Dumbledore who was in there, however, one would think she was insane, though, he answered her unspoken question with ease and understanding.

"Those are the grounds of Hogwarts and beyond. You may be able to see part of the castle; that's what you're in at this very moment."

Nodding slightly, she understood a few of the words in his sentence. Thinking of him as a person she could trust, she walked forward once again, this time with more grace, so she was standing only a bed away from him; the bed she had been on.

"Your name? Do you have a name?" He asked gently, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion; She had never heard this word, 'name'.

Seeing her confusion, he nodded sympathetically, pointing to himself.

"Albus Dumbledore." Then pointing to her, she realised what he meant; he wanted to know what she was called. So that's what a name was. Her mother had never called her a name, however; there was no need. No one else ever came to their large mansion. Realising this, she shook her head, her rather short hair slightly swaying.

"I guess we'll have to give you a name, then, for now. After all, everybody needs to be referred to as something," He said, now pointing at her again.

"Adeline." He said, the girl, now officially referred to as 'Adeline', nodding slowly, pointing to herself as if asking for confirmation.

"Yes. Now..." However, Dumbledore was cut off as Minerva McGonagall and Severus Snape came rushing in, along with a rather disapproving looking Poppy Pomphrey, causing Adeline to jump and back up once again, her eyes wide;

She had no idea what on earth was happening.

||||

"I'm worried about her, Albus. She barely understands a word and we can't get anything out of her..." Professor McGonagall said worriedly; Madame Pomphrey had things to do and Professor Snape had a class –as it was after lunch-.

The Professors stood side-by-side outside of the Hospital wing with the doors open, sometimes peering in to make sure 'Adeline' wouldn't leave or accidently break something; however, she was merely on her knees on one of the visitor chairs next to her bed, which was pushed against the window as she stared out at the grounds.

"Yes, I am rather troubled, myself...She is a Riddle, after all. We must keep her protected." Dumbledore explained, Professor McGonagall replying;

"But, Albus... Poppy wouldn't be able to all the time; she may have patients to tend to. Other Professors and you and I certainly can't, either..." Professor McGonagall waffled on until Dumbledore held up a hand to silence her, as he turned back to look at Adeline, who sighed in what he assumed was boredom. 'Assumed'.

Turning back to Professor McGonagall, he replied with a twinkle in his periwinkle eye.

"I wasn't talking about a Professor, Minerva." He spoke, Professor McGonagall now confused;

"Then who on earth-?" But Dumbledore interrupted her.

"I was talking about a student, and a rather specific one at that."