ch. 1 - nickname

Pistanthrophobia

Pistanthrophobia.

The fear of trusting someone.

||||

"Fred, George, Ginevra! Come set the table please!" Molly Weasley's voice resounded throughout the grubby household, in which now accommodated many more people than merely both Sirius and Adeline.

Unfortunately, their holidays were nearing an end in only a fortnight.

The twins apparated downstairs, much to their mother's dismay, as her voice once again was heard loud and clear pending from the floor below, yelling at them and presumably whacking them with the closest tea towel.

"Mum! It's Ginny, not Ginevra!" The youngest Weasley bellowed, light stomps following her groan, thumping her way down to the kitchen.

With the loss of noisy jokes from the identical pranksters and consistent chatter from Ginny, this left Adeline, Ron, and Hermione in uncomfortable silence. Adeline never really had to deal with muteness between trios of people before, but now that it was occurring, she wished it to stop.

"So..." Ron tried to make conversation in a desperate attempt, clearing his throat. "Harry's gonna be here tonight. Mum says near the end of their meeting."

Hermione's figure evidently perked up by this, looking gobsmacked by the news.

"What? How come?" She asked, intrigued by the talk, disregarding the book on her lap as it fell to the mucky floorboards, losing her page.

"For a hearing I think." Ron squinted his eyes slightly, trying to remember the overheard conversation.

Hermione was about to ask yet another question, drawing in a breath to speak, but was interrupted by Adeline; to say it stunned the Ginger and Bookworm was an understatement. She'd never talked directly to them beforehand.

Not when Harry wasn't around.

"How come you know this and Hermione doesn't? She always knows everything." Adeline asked, head tilting the slightest, directing her question towards Ronald. Her dark, brown hair waving the smallest amount; unlike the start of the holidays, her thick locks were a few inches below her shoulders, forming loose curls at the ends.

"Oh," Ron abruptly grinned and dug his hand into his jean pocket, pulling out two replica ears connected by a long piece of string. "Fred and George's making. You can listen into people's conversations; we tested them on last night's meeting and they work real well!"

Adeline's interest was shown clearly upon her, grey eyes wide and sparkly with astonishment, a vast smile taking up her pale lips.

However, he soon tucked it sheepishly back in his pocket, shuffling slightly away from Adeline, averting his eyes from her own, who couldn't decide whether the cause was him remembering her family origins or the look Hermione gave him.

The two rushed out when dinner was called a minor while afterward; leaving Adeline behind, soon gloomily hobbling after the two, wondering what on earth she did wrong to deserve this treatment.

||||

"Hey! Addie!" Ginny motioned to her over the conversations and clinking of cutlery as she entered the kitchen and dining area.

Adeline did not know who 'Addie' was, but the Ginger girl was looking straight at her.

A beautiful scent of welcoming roast dinner brought a smile to her lips, delicious food covering the lengthy, wooden table just like at Hogwarts; candles spread around the room bringing a soft and comfy warm glow to what would have been a murky and stony black room.

Adeline's strict grey eyes twinkled with joy, her beam of happiness brightening her freckle-sprinkled face, as she made her way over to the confident Weasley daughter.

Adeline was quite happy to have someone else in the household with lots of freckles; she hadn't seen many people with as much as her. Ginny's were a faint orange though, so they didn't define her face as much as Adeline's did. Ginny also had long, red-orange hair, and bright brown eyes.

Taking the indicated seat beside both Ginny and Fred (or was it George?), Adeline asked through a whisper:

"Who's Addie?"

Ginny's eyebrows scrunched up, a gentle smirk forming as she looked to Adeline.

"It's a nickname for you!" She responded.

"Uh..." Adeline made her voice quieter. "What's a nickname?"

This time Ginny laughed, as she answered with, "It's like a shorter version of your name; your proper name is Adeline but you can also have smaller ones, like 'Ad' and 'Addie'."

"Oh!" Ad grinned, reaching over to fill up her plate before all the food was gone. "Thank you!"

"You don't need to thank me." Ginny giggled. "You don't need to thank people for nicknames."

"Oh!" Adeline said for the second time that minute, happily beginning to eat. "Okay, then."

Twirling a fork in her hands, Ginny changed the subject, turning to Addie.

"So, you looking forward to Hogwarts?"

a/n:

I've missed writing this.

Thank you all so much for reading this!!

-G

Oh yeah and it's so much fun writing Ginny like she's a total sweetheart