ch. 8 - scar

'A storm was coming, 

but that's not what she felt. 

It was adventure on the wind,

 and it shivered down her spine'

 –Atticus

||||

June 17th 1994

A few things had changed. Adeline, for instance had only been taking four lessons that Dumbledore had picked out; considering she was not your ordinary schoolgirl, she really only needed to know a select few subjects to protect herself and to which could prove useful in her life.

The first one, to which Dumbledore need not think twice of, was Defence Against the Dark Arts. Adeline loved it; she loved the feeling of practicing defensive spells, which would protect and ensure the safety of herself and others, even if she'd have to use a random wand Ollivander gave her. That's one of the things she didn't like, considering she knew she could do much better without one, however, Professor Dumbledore's reasoning was that 'It would be quite odd seeing only a fourth year using wandless and non-verbal spells in a classroom' which, if she was honest, did not seem to be a good enough reason in her books.

The other thing she didn't like wasn't the subject in question, but more the Professor who taught it; Alastor, 'Mad-Eye', Moody. Harry had told her that he was, true to his name, mad even before she joined the class, but Adeline didn't really believe that; to say she felt like the teacher's pet was an understatement. It was almost as if he... praised her. She even caught him muttering something about her and a 'master' once, but it was almost inaudible. She also didn't like him because he would talk about terrible curses; she especially despised the Cruciatus curse, for it caused pain to whomever the witch or wizard pleased. He was rather dark, and she didn't like that. At all.

But, apart from that, she loved it.

The second subject, however, was a lot more pleasant; charms. Whether it be levitating an object or unlocking a door, the subject taught simple but handy spells. This brought joy to her; she loved when things little and simple made big differences, which is probably why the subject was her favourite out of the four Dumbledore had chosen for her. The little Professor was lovely toward her, unlike Mad-Eye. He treated her as if she was any other student, as if she had not just turned up out of the Black Lake. She admired that about the Head of Ravenclaw.

The third subject was Potions. Harry (and Ron) had always spoken to her, each other, and just about everyone else about how terrible Snape was, but, if she were to describe him, she's say that Professor Snape was as good to her as McGonagall was, so she really did not see any problem with the man. The subject, however, she despised. She felt this odd tugging sensation in her stomach whenever she was around the classroom or even a potion. Despite this, she was rather good at it; following instructions came naturally to her, considering she was well disciplined as a child; almost too disciplined for that matter.

However good both Professor Flitwick and Professor Snape were to her, Professor McGonagall was by far her favourite, tying with Professor Dumbledore. McGonagall taught Transfiguration, which was the fourth and last class she was being taught. Adeline couldn't exactly see how Transfiguration would prove needed to 'survive', as Dumbledore had put it, but she wasn't complaining; she admired McGonagall's sassiness and wittiness until world's end. She was a strong and independent woman that you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of, to which Adeline, luckily, was not.

Harry thought her lucky of not having to do the other classes that he did; History of Magic, Herbology, Astronomy and Divination (Not including COMC). Whenever he would join her in the common room after a typical school day, he would be complaining quite a bit, wishing that he would only have to do four classes, but it was not as easy as he thought. Considering she only started classes this year, Adeline had to catch up on three and a half years of classwork in a few months. But she managed.

Somehow.

||||

She talked more. Well, 'more' meaning a little bit more, about a sentence or two now, but it was a start, and Harry was proud. Why? Because she properly spoke; for the first time in a long while, 'properly' meaning she spoke on her own accord; she started the conversation. However, it did not have to do with her placement in the Black Lake, nor any details from her past. Instead, it was a question, one that Harry had never been asked before, since everyone already knew. Apparently, not everyone did.

"What's this scar from?" She had asked, brushing his hair out of the way to view his scar properly. Neither knowing of her origins, he told her, and she listened. After informing her, she turned sad. She did not like this 'Voldemort' or 'You-Know-Who' to which most referred to the murderer as. Because he was. He was a murderer. Evil.

She hates him with a seething passion, not knowing he is her father.

Not knowing that he would return the following week...

A/N:

It's last chapter eve if that makes sense.

Well kind of eve eve cause there's the epilogue