ch. 2 - harry

'She was the most beautiful, complicated thing I'd ever seen. A tangled mess of silky string. And all I wanted of life, was to sit down cross-legged and untie her knots' –Atticus

||||

"Potter," Harry jumped as this new voice appeared behind him.

"I didn't do it, Sir, I swear..." Harry started, out of habit, considering Snape loved punishing him for the slightest of things. Ron had to stifle a laugh; Harry kicking him under the table.

"Professor Dumbledore wants you, Potter; the Hospital Wing." Snape said, much to Harry's surprise; what would Dumbledore want with him in the afternoon on a school day? Why was he in the Hospital wing? Only when Snape spoke again, did Harry realise he hadn't moved.

"Now."

His full book-bag slung over his shoulder in almost an instant, Harry stood quickly, rushing out of the Potions classroom, though not before sharing a 'look' with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley; shrugging at their questionable expressions as he shut the door behind him.

||||

"Ah, Harry." Dumbledore addressed; he was sitting on the edge of a bed –His back to Harry but head turned- Harry then noticed a girl with short, Dark Brown hair looking out of the window, kneeled on the chair; she seemed to be the same age as him. Her head turned instantly at the sound of Dumbledore speaking.

Slowing his pace, Harry was rather confused, until he realised; that was the girl he rescued from the Black Lake; how could he possibly be so thick? What else would Dumbledore want from in the Hospital wing? The Second Task was only a week ago, and she took up most of his thoughts; questions upon questions almost all of the time, how could he possibly forget that so easily?

The girl, he noticed, looked rather afraid; she turned to Dumbledore and he nodded, her expression becoming relaxed once more. As the girl turned back to the window, Dumbledore stood up and walked over to Harry, talking quietly but audible;

"Now, Harry, I'm giving you a job to do. Adeline, over here, has not spoken since she woke up just half an hour ago. I am terribly sorry to interrupt your double Potions, but..."

"Oh, that's fine sir." Harry responded, rather relieved he didn't have to do the rest of the class. Dumbledore put his hand on Harry's shoulder, Harry looking at the girl in interest over Dumbledore's shoulder.

"It is very important she speaks. Now, she is not unable to speak–Madame Pomphrey has already tested her. We have a feeling she will speak when or if she trusts you, but we think she is simply in shock; don't be worried if she doesn't speak too much. Now, your job, is to help her find her voice, but even more importantly, you must protect her. I would, but I do have rather important business to tend to. Soon, we will be presenting her with school robes and she will attend classes in a few days' time. She will be placed in Gryffindor, considering that will be easier for you to keep an eye on her."

"Sir...?" Harry started, but Dumbledore smiled sympathetically at Harry's confused expression.

"I will say it simpler; your job is to protect Adeline and befriend her; she then, will trust you enough to talk, thus we would be able to find out how she was in the Black Lake. I have, however, gotten a word out of her; mansion. I do not know what this means, however, so you might be able to find out a bit more. I trust you will treat her correctly, and I trust you will take this seriously; you must protect her." Dumbledore spoke, walking towards the open Hospital wing doors, Harry's eyes still on the girl with a question in his head;

How?

As he turned around to ask, Dumbledore was already out of view; the Hospital wing doors closed. Harry looked around; he and the girl were the only two in the room. Clearing his throat, Harry sat down on the end of the bed; where Dumbledore had previously sat.

"Um... Hello," Harry said, rather surprised when she turned on her chair instantly, sitting on it cross legged and facing him.

"Uh... Adeline, right? I'm Harry." He asked, and she nodded, Harry not being able to hold her stare; her Piercing Grey eyes rather intimidating, yet curious. Harry awkwardly looked down at his hands, soon looking back up and holding out his hand for her to shake.

Adeline only looked at it questionably; her head cocking to the side slightly.

"Oh... right... uh, It's a handshake, see..." Harry said, leaning forward slightly and gently grabbing her hand, placing it in his like you would for a handshake.

"Handshake?" She whispered, Harry rather shocked that she had spoken; Dumbledore said she'd speak when she trusts him, yet they only just met. Does she trust him already? Yet he still nodded, letting go of her hand

Without warning, Adeline stood up and sat down on the bed, cross-legged and just below the pillow, facing him; Harry turning slightly so he could face her. He suddenly had an idea. It was quite corny, yet he thought that'd ease the awkward silence. It wasn't awkward for her, however, as she watched him with interest; fascination.

Grabbing a blank piece of parchment from his bag, Harry placed it on his lap, and after seeing that she could see, he folded the parchment in a few different ways, before lifting it and showing her; it was a paper plane.

Making sure she was watching, Harry carefully grabbed her hand and placed the paper in her hand, miming throwing it once she had a good grip on it. He gestured for her to do the same; she did, yet she still held on to the plane; not knowing she had to let it go eventually. Harry chuckled.

"No... you have to let it go when your arm is around here...like this..." Harry explained, as she handed him the paper plane so he could do an example; Adeline watching in utter amazement as the plane flew across a few of the beds before lightly hitting the ground. Turning to see her reaction, Harry laughed again when he saw her mouth was agape, quickly getting up and retrieving the paper plane, he returned and handed over the plane to her; indicating it was now her turn.

Adeline threw the paper plane like he did, though with more grace. Harry watched in amazement as the paper plane didn't hit the ground, but stayed in the air, doing small loops, twists and spins. He turned to her, and saw that she was, in fact, moving her finger; controlling the paper plane in the air with a light smile. Dropping her hand, the paper plane flew back over, landing on her lap. She held it out for Harry, giving it back, but he shook his head.

"It's fine; you keep it." He said; she stared at him like Christmas had come early; her eyes wide.

"Really?" She asked, eagerly.

"Really."