Chapter 4

Chapter 4 ➹     

Clarence

            In the sixteen years of my life, I’ve never thought I would have the responsibility of a demigod. It’s also amazing how he’s the unique son of Selene, the former moon goddess. I already had the feeling that we very alike since our mothers are not meant to bear children and they have been distant in the past years of our lives. Corin didn’t grow up in a private school like I did but his foster parents were always away from him. I feel sorry for him living the life of luxury though not experiencing the love and care from his parents. This lonely boy looks hostile and a troublemaker on the exterior, however, inside him was a softie, a lost boy who’s looking for someone who cares for him. I remember seeing vulnerability in his eyes when he told me his story. I tell myself that one day, I’m going to break more of his walls and soon, he’s going to break mine.

I’ve put up a strong guard to protect myself from anyone who might hurt me. I do trust Corin, with my secrets and my backstory though I’m waiting for the right time to tell him. I also don’t want him to take pity or have sympathy for me (which I always see in people’s eyes as if I’m helpless) but I want him to understand my misfortunes wholeheartedly. Since my friends are absent in camp except summer, I’ve only got Corin around and he also depends on me for I’m his friend and mentor.  I’ll need to train him, too just as my mother said. I’ll help him find out about his true identity and his powerful abilities. And if I don’t screw up like I usually do, then the prophecy could be fulfilled.

I guess it’s all up to me now.

What really tugged my heart to help and train Corin is when I saw him as a baby. I gaze at his cute rosy cheeks while the raven haired woman cradles him in her arms. So here it is, yet again, another dream sent to me. Right now, Selene is in front of me, floating on the sphere of rock – the moon. She holds baby Corin while singing him a lullaby. Who knew Selene could be this gentle and caring? And that joyful sparkle in her eyes proved that she really loves her baby. I wonder if Artemis ever held me like that.

It’s sad to see how sweet they were together years ago, and now, they’re cold and distant. I need to make Corin accept his mother and realize her love for him. This moment is too precious and I hate standing here even though they do not recognize my presence.

“Sister,” an unfamiliar god appears out of the shadows. He has a yellow aura around him with blonde hair and kind golden eyes. He wears a princely outfit except for a crown. A belt with a sun symbol in the center caught my attention. Based from his appearance and his word, he must be Helios, the former god of the sun and the brother of Selene.

Selene stops singing and faces him, “Brother.” She regains her cold mood. I assume she doesn’t want Helios to be around at the moment. I realize they almost have the same relationship as my mother and uncle, too.

“King Zeus will soon find out where you are hiding Selene. It is not safe for you and your child.” Helios warily glances at the baby when saying the last words. I wonder what he’s thinking.

“Artemis permitted me to stay in the moon. Anyways, she is taking care of her child, too.” Selene shoots back.

“That goddess again. Do you not remember that she is the one who stole your rights and title?” the former sun god says in a clipped tone. I open my mouth to defend my mother but I know it is no use because they cannot hear or see me.

“Artemis and I had an agreement, brother. She keeps my secret, and I keep hers. We promised to protect each other’s children.” I see now the mutual friendship they made. “Maybe if you would let go of the unnecessary grudge for the twins, you can get along with Apollo,” she continues.