Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Clarence

            I have been to the Underworld once before. And trust me, it wasn’t that fun.

            In my first visit here, I wondered what’s in it for me when I die. I had decided to be very grateful if I ended up in Elysium. It’s a place where people who have done great things in their life ended up. There, they lived normal and happy lives and – I heard – without misfortune crossing in their paths.

            Though, when I went to the Underworld, it wasn’t because I died but because I was sent here without my consent. I suffered severely and thanks to my incredible memory, I remember every single second of it. From the time I stupidly took a trip to the woods up to the moment I was found unconscious by the hunters of Artemis. It was also in the Underworld where I found out Hades’ plans for me. Somehow, he didn’t come for me again after that. But now, I’m starting to doubt that.

            It’s a free fall down to the Underworld. The light from the open woods slowly disappears from my sight. The gaping hole that swallowed us a while ago started closing up. The first thing I wonder about is why I am still alive and conscious after being sucked into the underground. It’s beyond me that while I’m falling, I’m thinking about certain things.

            Then next thing that I think about is Corin. I frantically look around, in hopes to find him, but it seems that I’m the only one falling. Where the heck is he? I swear I saw him fall in with me. I wonder where he is. There’s also a small chance that he is the target. He’s the one to fulfill the prophecy after all and there are dangers out there waiting to get him.

            I turn midair to get a glimpse of where I’m going to land. My eyes gaze at the solid ground of the Fields of Asphodel. Of course, that’s where I’m going to land. And in a blink of an eye, my body collides painfully with the ground. I even roll several times before stopping with my face on the ground. The impact isn’t as painful as I had predicted.

            I prop myself up with my elbows then carefully get up. I sit up and brush the dirt and dust off my arms and face. I bet my hair looks like it has been dragged by a hurricane now. I look at the top of my arm and see the treated wound unharmed. After fixing myself up and making sure there weren’t any additional injuries, I scan my surroundings.

            Souls are wandering around aimlessly. Their eyes are glassy and their faces are emotionless. They don’t remember their past lives and I think they’re going to be here for eternity. They’re the ones who never did good or bad in their earthly lives so they don’t receive any punishment or reward. Nonetheless, they still look creepy.

            I mentally shudder as I walk around. I don’t even know where I need to go. The last time I was here, I used the stars to escape from my Underworld jail. I doubt I could still do that the second time around. I wrap my arms around myself. Where could I possibly go and where is Corin? I don’t sense any danger, but I’m still lost.

            As time passes, I grow more and more worried about Corin. They must be after him, not me. I recall Athena telling me that he’s in the spotlight now and I should stay out of his business. I know I really should, but we just began training. He doesn’t deserve to be in this kind of trouble during his newbie days.

            Looking far away, I spot the Fields of Punishment and beyond that is the castle of Hades where I was imprisoned once. My mind flashes back to the memory of Gerald saving me and dying. His bastard of a father killed him in a snap. I lost him since then. After that, I didn’t know if I could go back to my friends in the fear of them getting hurt because of me. I quickly shake my head and decide to brush those thoughts off. They’re the past and my history. I don’t need to go back to them.