Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Calvin

            It's only about ten minutes before Alex and Liam get here. Mom sent Lou home an hour ago, so that she can prepare for dinner. She's supposed to come back anytime now.

            I found out she's really nice. I'm starting to get comfortable around her, but I don't know how she feels about me. She's still shy and quiet when we hung out earlier this day but I'm willing to open up the real side of her. I want her to feel relaxed towards me. I know it'll take time for Lou, but I feel like the need to thank mom for introducing her to me.

            I like that she just lets me play videogames without complaints and whines. She even plays along with me, so we fight in duels. Myth-o-magic didn't seem boring anymore. She always agrees in my plans and she said she'd prefer to have it my way than hers. She even complimented mom in her cooking.

            Mom had prepared us snacks this afternoon. "Mmm, this is so good." Lou had said when she took a bite out of the chocolate chip cookie. We were sitting on the dining table, feasting on cookies and Coke.

            "You like it? My mom's a cooking goddess. She taught me and Alex." I told her.

            Her eyes lit up, "You cook, too?"

            I nodded, "I could cook for the both of us sometime."

            "I'd expect it to be really delicious." She had a slight smirk on her face.

            "Of course." I said smugly, leaning back and taking a sip of my drink. "Do you cook, too?"

            She shook her head, "No, I don't. I haven't got much experience in the kitchen."

            I grinned at her toothily, "I'll teach you."

            What's nagging me is the fact that Lou always keeps to herself. She hasn't shared anything about her life when I told her about Alex, Liam and Mom. I asked her once, but she answered me vaguely. It just made me more curious about what she's keeping.

            The ring of the doorbell pulls me out of my reveries. I am sitting on the couch, elbows on my knees. Mom had told me to wait for Lou to arrive while she cooked dinner. I stand and march over to the door to open it.

            I open the door to see Lou standing there, wearing a white sleeveless dress. Her frizzy brown hair falls down her shoulders. "Is it too much?" a faint blush creeps on her neck.

            I smile and shake my head, "No, you look great."

            I step aside to let her in. Then, I close the door as she walks to the couch and takes a seat. "Mom's cooking dinner," I tell her, sitting next to her, "What do you want to do?"

            She shrugs diffidently, "Your call."

            I lean back on the couch, putting my arms behind my head, "You know I don't know much about you. Care to share about yourself?"

            She glances at me for a second then she turns her gaze forward, "I already told you my family moved here for my dad's job."

            "What's your dad's job?"

            She purses her lips then replies, "He's a businessman." I have a small feeling in my gut that she's lying.

            "And your mom?"