Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Clarence

I messed up.

I continually blame my lack of sleep when I reach the dining hall the day after Corin and I fought. Apparently, he's still mad at me for yesterday because when I woke up today, his bed was empty. I may be overreacting, but I know Corin enough. He would normally wait for me to wake up before we have our breakfast. My guesses are confirmed when I spot him in the dining hall.

He sits in a table all by himself, glancing warily around him. I still think he's the innocent boy I met two days ago. He just tries to hide his nervousness. I look away, shaking my head, when a group of girls approach him.

Ash, Jed and Jennifer are still here, and I don't know for how long. I do hope they leave soon. I'm going crazy, seeing both of them being a couple. I'm grateful that Ami's not here, though. No offense to her, but I think things will get worse than they already are if she shows up.

I walk over to the line of food. I pick out a simple breakfast of toast and coffee. I glance quickly at the popular table and remember the mental note I made: do not ever pull an all-nighter again.

I don't head to Corin, to avoid making our fight worse. I don't even want to be in the dining hall. I decide to march out of the place and go to the forest instead to have my breakfast. I settle for a place far away from the dining hall. I lean against a tree and recall the last time I was in the forest. I got sucked into the Underworld at that time.

This whole day is still for Corin's rest before he can resume training. And until then, I need to fix this rift between us. Artemis and Selene will kill me for 'childishly' fighting with my student.

Congrats, Clarence. You ruined everything again.

I exhale deeply and then finish the rest of my coffee. I have time for myself today and also time for fixing everything between me and Corin. I think about I can't go inside my cabin without bumping into Ash and Jed. I can't go to our room in the infirmary without seeing Corin, too.

I jog to the nearest building and throw my trash there. I go back to the forest after. Although there's no training today, I still dress like there is. I wear a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up, leggings and combat boots. For my hair, I tie it into a braid with some pieces tucked by pins.

Maybe I could blow off some steam then decide what to do next. I head deeper into the forest, where I'm certain nobody would go to. There are only a few animals around here, so I cross them off the list to shoot arrows on. I even half hope that some monster will appear so I can shoot it numerous times until it dies. Finally, I settle for shooting the trees.

Oh those poor trees.

I tap my silver bracelet and my weapon appears. I grab an arrow and shoot...and another...and another. I put my anger on each arrow then it sticks to the hard trunk of each tree. I shoot one: for my stupidity. And I shoot another: for the gods' foolishness. And I shoot another one: for the misfortunes in my life.

I stop, breathing heavily. I put down my bow, clutching it tightly that my knuckles turn white.

"What did the tree ever do to you?"

"Why are you here?" I don't need to turn to the voice. I already know the all too familiar voice.

"You went out the dining hall. I decided to follow you." I whip around to face my cousin.