Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Alex

            I rub both my arms before I close the window of my room. The window is right beside my bed, which makes it comfortable for me to stare out of it every night. I opened it a while ago, hoping the fresh air from outside would soothe me. But I was wrong. The cold breeze had swept inside my room, making it colder.

            I exhale deeply and sit back again on my bed. It's an hour and a half until finals and what am I doing? I'm fretting in my bedroom, of course. I'm completely worn out, so confused and so...broken. Dried up tear tracks are visible on my cheeks, my eyes are puffy from crying and the lack of sleep and my hair looks like a rat's nest.

            I'm in my pajamas, wishing I could just sleep through the night and avoid finals. This is what Liam did to me. I don't know what to do now, and I don't think I can face him in finals.

            Mom's out working, like the usual. As far as I know, Calvin is going to the finals as Aven. I just don't know if he'll be present physically, or it'll be like the practice matches.

            I'm pretty certain about the first one, though. Players are expecting the revelation of Aven because Finals Rules says that each top six player must be present physically in the stadium and in the game. We're not allowed to be in our costumes because some years ago, a costume was used to cheat. Don't ask me how. Also, the game now is hack-proof but that's not a problem for Calvin. He doesn't need hacking to win.

            Players from around the world are to gather in the place where Myth-o-magic was born: San Francisco. There will be hundreds of players in the Central Stadium later.

            And I decided I'm not going. Calvin had been right about Karma biting me back in the butt because of the lie I pulled off. It's affecting me badly. I feel so lost with Liam leaving me.

            Is this heartbreak? Did I like him before?

            I bury my head in my hands and groan. I can't go. Any two from the five can win now, for all I care.

            I suddenly hear a knock on the door. I don't bother to say 'come in', knowing it's Calvin. He slowly opens the door, looking worriedly at me.

            "Aren't you supposed to be at the Stadium right now?" I ask him. He doesn't say a word in response.

            Calvin marches over to my bed, sits on it, and wraps an arm around me. I lean into him, resting my head on his shoulder. "I'm not going without you," he says softly.

            I start crying again.

            "They're expecting Aven," I sniff, "The long awaited Aven."

            "Yeah, but my sister is here," he rubs my back, "I can't leave you alone here." How can my brother be so soft now?

            "But you have to win," I tell him, pulling away. I hold is shoulders, "You should win for the both of us – for mom."

            "If I'm winning, you'll be there up the stage with me." He gazes into my eyes.

            "Al," he speaks softly, "I'm really sorry about Liam. I'm not going to stop you in whatever choice you make out there. Whether you choose to side with Vade or Aven, it doesn't matter. It's your choice."

            My heart melts at my brother's words. He's here, the top ranked among the players, welcomed into the stadium. But he's waiting for me. If it were a race, he'd be so close to the finish line but he goes back to help me up. I can't let him go down with me.