Chapter 30

A couple months later...

Chapter 30

Clarence

            Astraphobia.

            That's the word swimming in my mind as I trudge through the rain – or more like fly through the storm. I vividly recall walking through the rain to the Main Quarters in Demicamp. It seems so long ago...and so different from my situation now.

            I bring up my palm, face-up and produce a light to illuminate my path better. I squint through the rain, using the light as my guide. It's a night storm. No one in their right mind would ever go out of their safe houses. That is, unless if you're a goddess.

            Thanks to my star and goddess powers, there's not a single rain drop on me. I casted a spherical shield around me that faintly glows gold which protects me from the rain and the fierce wind. The light on my palm, meanwhile, allows me to float through the dark neighborhood inconspicuously. I'm wearing a simple outfit of a long silver tunic and tights. My hair is pulled into a pony tail with a few stray hairs here and there.

            I float through the street and stop at certain point, between two houses. I look to my right, a small smile flickering on my lips. This house was abandoned before, until this particular goddess in disguise occupied it. With my photographic memory, those memories were still crystal clear in my mind.

            The distinct figure of lightning appears from afar, followed by the roar of thunder. I shake my head and turn towards the other house, the one on my left. I extinguish the light from my hand and make my way up the front steps. Stepping in front of the door, I knock on it.

            I hear the click of the lock, then the creak of the door opening while I brush imaginary dust from my shoulder. Without any shield, walking in this storm must be a nightmare.

            A familiar face pops out of the door. And then, the door swings fully, revealing the boy.

            "Hi," I greet meekly, "Alex called for me."

            Then, I peer inside, to see the aforementioned girl sitting on the couch, watching TV. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask Liam.

            "We came to visit then the storm came," Liam answers, "Kristine told us to stay. We can't travel in this weather."

            I nod understandingly, "So...can I come in?"

            "He's not coming out of his room," Liam says, "We can't get in."

            I stay silent for a while, putting into mind the best way to get into his room. I had a guess – just a tiny guess – that he has the hope of waiting for me. After thinking it through, I shrug and say, "I'll enter at the back. Thanks Liam. Say hi to Alex for me."

            Liam bids goodbye and closes the door again. I step down the front steps and float myself to the back of the house. Next, I fly to the window above. I let out a sigh of relief when I see that the window is open, but just a tad bit. And he only did that for one person: Me. I slide it to open wider so I can get inside. When I'm inside the room, I shut the window immediately and put out my shield.

            The room is downright messy, but aside from that, there aren't any changes. I shake my head again.

            Astraphobia, the fear of thunder and lightning.