Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Alex

            When I was in my pre-teen years, I was totally amazed in programming, where you can do anything virtually. I always imagined a world of my own, where I can control everything, where I rule everything. I started trying programming, writing simple and basic codes. It took lots of determination and concentration because even the tiniest bit can affect the whole thing. Others (like Calvin, who couldn't appreciate its importance) found it irritating but I continued to strive to make things the way I want them to be. It taught me to explore more out of the usual thing.

            Then, my older brother introduced gaming to me. He welcomed me into the world of Myth-o-magic. I became interested in the creativity of videogames, because of its one of a kind technology and features. Instantly, I was hooked in playing the game and the set became my friend.

            I created my character carefully. It's because when you finally finish making an account, you can't change the appearance of your avatar anymore. There are some players who choose more than one feature — like Aven and her purple or brown hair. But I chose only one for my avatar, and one that I will have forever.

            I was quiet but imaginative so I created an avatar that would speak what I wanted. I made her straightforward and independent. The mask even makes that more evident in her. With the color theme of red and black, I named her Scarlet — mostly because of my addiction to anime that time.

            A year after I started playing, I introduced the game to Calvin. He, too, became absorbed in it. And as the years passed by, he learned more about hacking and applied it to the game. Of course, he doesn't use it to win duels and complete quests or win the topmost rank but he unfairly uses hacking for comfort and convenience. For example, you can't get a Cyclops Forged Shield until you get to level fifteen, and guess what level my brother got that? He used his tech magic to get it when Aven was just level six — that lucky bastard.

            And now, as I scoop sushi after sushi into my mouth, I wish to transform into my alter ego and kill the awkward tension into pieces.

            Picture this: your friend who blackmailed you in Myth-o-magic and thinks you're Aven is happily chatting with your mother, who invited him for dinner. Your brother's being eerily quiet like the usual and you're sitting there, with mouthfuls of sushi stuffed in your cheeks.

            "Alex," Mom calls out to me. I look up at her and Liam, my eyes wide and my eyebrows up.

            "Are you alright, honey? You haven't said anything lately." She sneaks a glance at Calvin and then gazes at me.

            Mom explained that she called the house this afternoon while I was with Liam. Calvin was the one who answered the phone and said that I was out. Mom went home early because her boss told her so because of an important meeting he has to attend so nobody will me managing around. Mom talked to Calvin and he told her I was at Liam's. So when we saw her at the front door, Mom gladly invited Liam for dinner.

            Mom, Liam and I lounged at the couch while Calvin prepared dinner. Liam and mom start a conversation while I just watched TV.

            I don't even get why Mom would invite Liam for dinner. He's just my friend, nothing else. I don't usually have my friends for dinner, but Liam was different. My cheeks heat up at the memory of Liam's forehead kiss. I'm still going crazy about it.

            "Okay," Mom says, "I'll clear the table and do the dishes. You and Liam can hang in the living room." She winks at me, as if sending a message.