Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Clarence

            This is one of the rare times that I can’t sleep.

            I don’t know why. It might be from today’s adventures or the worry about Corin, who is snoozing soundly on the bed beside mine. I want to stay the night in the infirmary in case something comes up. He insisted that I go back to my cabin and get some rest but I won in the end. The place is empty, except for us, so there’s no problem when it comes to disturbance. I hug my legs to me and I bury my head on them. It’s dark in the room but there’s a little light from the lit skies.

            That afternoon, Halliope and Gus visited to bring us lunch and talk to us about what happened. The camp was alerted, but I don’t think they should be worrying about it because the gods wanted me and Corin, not any of them. The oracle and augur promised to relay the message to Chiron when they got back. Corin and I talked for a while after the two left. I only told him that I met a dead friend in the Underworld. Thankfully, he was convinced.

            But now, guilt settles in the pit of my stomach just thinking about lying to Corin. He hadn’t done anything wrong so why can’t I tell him? I trusted Gerald quickly with my backstory so why isn’t it the same with him? I think about how I did have trust issues back then, after I was abused. Maybe I wanted to have someone so badly that I ignored the walls I subconsciously built. And now, after my heartbreak, I guess I learned the lesson of trusting too much.

            Wondering about this doesn’t make my roaring conscience satisfied. It feels like there’s a voice in my head telling me to screw my barriers and tell him everything.

            I try to dismiss everything clouding my mind. I try to concentrate on my next lessons with Corin. I think he’d do well with the book. It’s better than me teaching him. He’s already got that moon sword – thanks to Selene – so he can train well. The next big step is controlling his powers. That would be a tough one.

            My eyes drift toward Corin. He has to stay here for tomorrow then he’ll be able to train again. I figure that if he’s here, I have to be with him, too.

            Bored, I hop from my bed and scoot towards the window. Seeing the stars makes comfort surge through me. The stars are always there, not leaving me alone. Even from the beginning they’re here for me. I suddenly remember the dream I had last night. Maybe I couldn’t sleep in fear of having another nightmare.

            I open the locks of the window and let the cool breeze in. Before I know it, my arm is outstretched out of the window. I curl my hand into a fist and then open my fingers again. I silently call out for the stars. Balls of light then float above my palm. I bring my hand back inside, gazing at the glow of the pieces of star.

            “Clarence?”

            Startled, I look at the direction where the voice came from. The light quickly extinguishes from my hand. In the dimly lit room, I see Corin gazing at me with wide eyes. I reach for the lamp and turn it on.

            “Sorry, did I wake you up?” I smile at him.

            “No, it’s okay. What time is it?” he asks groggily.

            I shrug, “I don’t know but I guess it’s late at night.” He yawns as he stretches his arms.

            “You should go back to sleep,” I say, “You need all the rest you can get.”