CHAPTER 35

RAY
As I wait for Malcolm in my office, there is only one thing, one person I can think about.
Sierra.
She is driving me more crazy with each day that goes by. I can’t believe I’m doing this. I have not asked her to be my girlfriend yet but I know we are dating. I like her so much and other men like Axel should just back off. They are not allowed near her.
Reason?
Because she is mine and I don’t share what is mine. She is mine alone.
Yet?
I don’t know why I feel she is hiding something from me. She still doesn’t want to tell me about her parents and what they did. She just brushes it off every time I ask her about them.  This hasn’t gone unnoticed. It’s really getting on my nerves. I can’t force her to tell me anything though. I have to gain her trust first.
A knock at the door interrupts my reverie. I know it’s Malcolm so I walk to the door and usher him in. I’m so eager to know what has been happening in my company. Because I don’t really get it. It has never happened before. This is new.
I sit behind my table and Malcolm sits down directly opposite me. He gives me a lingering look and clears his throat but I beat him to it when I sigh heavily and start the conversation.
“Any information?”
“Yes. A lot of it. I don’t know where I should start.”
“Just start anywhere.”
“Your accounts are being messed up with.”
“Do you know who is doing it?” I’m trying to be calm because I will erupt anytime. And if I erupt, whoever is doing it won’t like the outcome.
“ Yeah. One of your accountants.”
“I need the name Malcolm.”
“It’s Jace.”
“Jace?” I don’t remember who this is.”
“here. I have his picture.” He hands me a photo and realization hits me hard. I don’t know how I employed him. I don’t know what his aim is in all this but I have my suspicions. He might have been sent by someone or he is doing this on his own. I might have someone who has sent him in mind.
“Fuck!”
“You know him?”
“I have seen him several times. I don’t remember most of my employees.”
“Do you have any enemies? Do you know who would want to do this to you?”
“Yeah. I have only one person in mind. I’m not sure whether he is the cause of all this but I have a strong belief he is.”
I fist my hands and hit the table in anger. I rise up and walk around the room running my fingers in my hair in frustration. I always do this when stressed but it never helps. All it does is tousling my hair but do I really care about my looks?
Nope. I want to deal with this asshole first. He will know he has been messing with the wrong person. I walk back to the table and punch a number on the phone. Malcolm has his eyes on me but I ignore him and look at the door.
“Amanda!”
“What are you doing?” I snap the same time  Malcolm asks me this.
I cover the phone with my hand and look at Malcolm. “I want that Jace guy in my office.” I tell him but he shakes his head in disapproval.
“Wrong move son. Let’s talk about this first.”
“I don’t think there is anything to talk about.” This is true. I just have to crush the guy's balls until he tells me who sent him here.
“Just sit down and let’s talk about it.” He begs and I sit with the phone still in my hand.
“ I will call you back Amanda.” I snap and replace the receiver my eyes on Malcolm.
“I’m listening.” I lean back on my seat and give him a long look as I wait for him to talk.
*******
“Accounts office, get me Jace!” I bark orders on the phone and replace the receiver.
I stand up and walk around the room. This is a habit that I picked from dad. I want to calm down a bit though I know it’s not possible. I’m going to kill the son of a bitch. I gulp down some water from a bottle on the table and take in some deep breathes to try to calm my raging self.
“Come in!” I shout when there is a knock at the door.
Jace comes in. Or rather, I assume it’s Jace because he is the guy Malcolm showed me. I have seen him in the accounts office before but the problem with me is that I don’t bother to have a one on one relationship with my employees. I deal with them when there is a problem in their fields. Making friends at work is a no for me. It tends to destroy one’s company and so I have always avoided it by all means.
He walks timidly towards me and stops  just beside the chair directly opposite mine.
“Sit down!” I order and remain standing. He sits down fast and I fix my glare on him trying to prevent myself from jumping on him.
“You are Jace?” I ask the obvious. Of course he is Jace. I called for Jace and this guy came to my office. No one comes to my office without my knowledge. Just asking for formalities.
“Yes sir.” He says softly.
“How is work?”
“It’s good sir. We are trying our best.” He responds fearfully.
“Mmmh! That’s great.” I give him one glare and walk to the window. I look at the sight below and the the urge to throw him outside through the window overcomes me. That will be an easy and a fast death. They won’t do anything to me, right? They didn’t do anything to my sister’s murderers so I don’t think they can do anything to me.
Not under the corrupt justice in this state. It’s about who knows who in this country. Who ends up suffering? The poor people. The common man ends up suffering at the expense of the rich man. What do we do anyway. It’s our country and there is nothing we can do about it. I should take Sierra and run out of this country with her. Because if I’m going anywhere, she is coming along. I’m never leaving her behind. I will deal with that later.
I turn abruptly and give Jace a lingering look.
“Who sent you?” I ask as I walk towards him slowly.
“Sent me?” he is pretending not to understand my question.
“Let me rephrase my question.” I take two deep breathes. “ Who are you working under?” I lean on the table still trying to calm myself.
“You sir. You are the one who employed me.” He says in a shaky voice.
“Don’t mess with me Jace. You know what I mean.” I close my eyes to regain my sanity.
“I’m saying the truth sir.”
“Don’t fucking mess with me!” I’m behind him within no time. I grip his neck and he lets out a yell. He tries removing my hand from his neck but I’m too strong for him. I don’t do exercises for nothing. It’s for this.
“I will ask one more time, who sent you here?” I ask my voice raised.
“N..no…o..n…e.”
“Don’t make me kill you son of a bitch. Let’s do this one more time.” I grip him hard making him yell. “ Who sent you to compromise my accounts?” I raise my voice in anger.
“Ray?” that’s Sierra. What is she doing in here? I didn’t hear her come in.
“Go back to your office Sierra.” I can’t raise my voice at her. It comes out softly. I don’t let my grip on Jace go.
“You are hurting him.” She pleads with me but I don’t let go.
“You shouldn’t be here.” I tell her calmly.
“You will get into trouble for this.”
“Tell me who sent you dickhead!” I ignore her and grip him hard and he groans trying to catch his breathe.
“i…” he tries to talk but fails.
“Are you ready to talk?” I ask not loosening my grip. He nods and I let him go. I lean on the table avoiding Sierra’s surprised look.
“You can sit down baby.” I know she won’t go anywhere so it’s best if I have this conversation in her presence. She obliges and sits on my chair.
“So?” I urge Jace on.
“Axel from Axel holdings sent me.” He confesses.
“Asshole! I knew it.” I walk around and look at Sierra. She is surprised. It shouldn’t surprise her. That asshole is capable of that.
“So he sent you here to vandalize my company?” I ask the obvious.
“Yes sir.”
“Do you know the result of all this? Do you know for how many years you will get locked in?”
“I’m sorry sir. I didn’t have an option.”
“You had one. I pay you enough but you want something extra by compromising my accounts.” I take my phone from the table and dial Malcolm’s number. “I’m done with him.” I hang up and give him one last glare before Malcolm walks in.
“He is all yours.” I tell him once he is inside. “ let’s go Sierra. I need to have him  off my face before I decide to kill him.” I say breathing fast. She stands up and gives Jace one last look.
“Let’s go to my office.” She says softly and walks past me. I follow her and leave Malcolm to do what we discussed.