CHAPTER 24

I curse under my breath and approach the car. This is the hired car my parents are using. Not only do I have a problem of absentee parents but also parents who are stalkers. Vivian Adams and Adams know no bounds.
I fold my hands into fists so angry at them. Why are they here? Ray is behind me, walking cautiously and stops beside me when the doors open to reveal the two fugitives. His presence somehow comforts me and makes me relax.
Mum is in a black mini dress and black high-heeled boots. I roll my eyes at the exaggerated makeup as she stands few inches away from where we are. I don’t think I will ever agree with her. Her sense of fashion sucks. If that’s what it is because this looks like parading her nakedness everywhere. Did dad have to allow her to follow him when she is dressed this way? Is she a wife to anyone? A mother? Let’s leave the mother part because she is not a mother to anyone.
Wow!
My breathing has become fast and uncontrolled. This is as a result of anger. I’m so angry at them. Even though they have not said anything to me yet. Ray notices it and reaches for my hand. My hand meets his and he squeezes it assuringly. Mum notices it and throws daggers at him.
“I would like to talk to my daughter privately.” She glares at him and I clasp his hand tightly as a way of telling him not to heed to her demand.
“That is if Sierra wants me to go.” He snaps at her his cold eyes meeting hers.
“It’s not up to her to decide. I’m her mother and I can control her.” She presses trying to pull the dress she is in down. Why did she have to wear it if she is not comfortable in it?
Vivian Adams.
She is the woman who gave birth to me but I don’t feel any remorse standing in front of her and glaring at her. If she wants my forgiveness and attention she has to change her way of approaching and talking to me. Without that we are not going anywhere. I despise her and she can’t come to me with such a tone. Claiming to be my mother yet she went missing since I was four. She has to work hard for my attention.
Ray turns me to look at him and tucks a stray hair behind my ear.
“Do you want me to go?” he asks.
“No. Stay.” I beg him. He will control me if I need to kill my parents because that’s what I want to do right now.
“She wants me to stay.” He turns to look at my fuming mother.
“Is this the best you can do Sierra?”
“What do you mean Vivian?” I glare at her withdrawing my hand from Ray's hand to fist it at my side.
“Following this boy around even at night? Then you let him hold your hand?” she spits in anger.
“What is your problem with that?” I ask trying to keep my voice cool. If I raise it, it will be impossible for it to go down again.
“My problem is that you are sleeping with this boy.” She glares at him and I notice him clenching his jaw.
“With all due respect, I’m not a boy ma'am.” His jaw his tight. I raise my hand to stop him from saying any more and glare at my mother.
“Is that why you are here?” Dad is so calm. If I should forgive anybody it’s him and not this woman. Her glare meets mine before she opens her mouth to speak again.
“Do you know there are pregnancies Sierra?”
“Yes Vivian. I know that so well. So?” I arch my eyebrow.
“I want you to stay away from him. You should not be involving yourself in sex this early.”
“Let me get this straight. You have been absent in my life since I was four. You came back on Thursday and yet you think you can assume the role of a mother and start giving me the sex talk in a very bad manner?” I'm now boiling with anger.
“Sierra..” dad speaks and I hold my hand up to silence him.
“I’m not done talking dad. Wait for your time.” I don’t look at him. I want to deal with my mother who is becoming a bitch first.
“Are you the person giving me sex talk at this time Vivian Adams? Is this even the way parents do it? Don’t you think you should have been there to do it as early as when I was ten years? You were nowhere to be seen. Grandma took care of all that and she gave me that talk so don’t dare question her parenting.” I tell at her.
“It’s true Sierra. The truth hurts. If she gave you that talk you wouldn’t be here with him. You would be in the house asleep like other young women.”
“Oh! Preach sister. Preach. Kindly remind which verse it is. I want to take down notes.” I say sarcastically gulping bitterly.
“I’m not your sister young lady.”
“Oh! I wouldn’t want you as my sister. God had to punish me by giving you to me as my 'mother.’ A dead beat mother who has been absent for eighteen years yet comes to question how grandma brought us up.” I pause breathing heavily.
“I’m still your mother. Look at how sluttily you are behaving with your hand in his.”
Oh God.
“Slutty you say? You like preaching water and taking wine. It looks like you are talking about yourself here. Look at how you are dressed. In a slutty manner. Yet you call yourself a wife and a mother of two.”
“You don’t get to talk to me that way Sierra.” She raises her hand to hit me and I close my eyes waiting for the impact on my face but it doesn’t happen. I open my eyes to see Ray gripping my mum’s hand hard. Their hands are on the air.
“I have been silent for long but you don’t get to raise your hand at Sierra.” He warns angrily.
“Stay out of this. She is my daughter.”
“Looks like she doesn’t recognize that.” He says firmly, not letting my mum’s hand go.
“I don’t like you.” She spits.
“The feeling is mutual madam. I don’t like you too because I don’t trust you. There is something weird going on and I know it’s nasty for your daughter to have all this hatred towards you. I know it’s a family issue but if you try to lay your hand on Sierra again I will forget you are her mother. I’m warning you Vivian Adams.” He lets her hand go forcefully and it falls on her side. She traces her finger on her wrist and winces. She must have gotten hurt in the process. She glares at Ray.
“You will pay for this.” She spits pulling her dress down for the hundredth time.
“Make me pay. I can give you my address and you can do that easily.” He says and looks at me. “Are you okay?” he asks his eyes filled with concern.
“Yes.” I nod and swallow bitterly.
“Sierra please. Just listen to us.” Dad speaks rolling his eyes at mum.
“Not now dad. I’m not ready for this conversation. Maybe you should try and talk to Julian first because he is more pissed off than I’m. You can’t elope for eighteen years to run for God knows what and come back here wanting me to listen to you.” I try hard not to raise my voice at him.
“Eighteen years?” Ray widens his eyes at me.
“Enough Sierra.” Mum looks at me warningly.
“Yes. Eighteen years.” I confirm and turn my gaze to dad.
“Please Sierra.” He says in his calm voice.
“Not now. If you want to talk to me, you can do it later but don’t let this woman show her face to me again. I have had a long day and I need to sleep. You can leave at your own pleasure.” I take Ray's hand and pull him away from them.