CHAPTER 3

SIERRA
I fidget on my seat and look around. The other interviewees look so confident and comfortable. Maybe I'm the only one who is panicking. I have a reason to. I had a nasty experience with some rich asshole who thinks he can step on everyone. To make the matter worse, I’m the last one on the  line and these people are really taking their time.
“Do you think there is a problem?” I ask some snobbish lady seated next to me. I don’t expect her to answer so it’s a surprise when she talks.
“Why?” She is annoying. Chewing her gum in an uncivilized manner.
“Because we have been here for long and the interview has not yet started.” I look at her eyebrows and roll my eyes. She has overdone her makeup. “I mean, we were to start at eight and it’s now ten.”
Okay. Maybe I’m talking to myself because she doesn’t answer. She ignores me and chews her gum loudly. So proud for an editor position! I Scoff attracting some attention to me but ignore them and focus on my phone.
“Good morning everyone?” Some lady with a tag labeled “HR” greets. “Sorry for the delay. We will start immediately. Let’s all be fast. I wish you the best.” She gives us a smile and walks away.
This is my cue to tense completely. I take some gum from my bag to help me calm down. The interview goes on fast for the others. They all walk out of the room smiling and I wonder whether I will walk out the same way.
“Sierra Adams.”
Oh my God!
It’s my turn. I look around nervously as if there is another Sierra Adams. I rise up and feel my feet wobbling. I take two sharp breathes and walk into the room. The first eyes I see are the caramel brown eyes.
What the hell? This can’t be. He can’t be here after how rude and abusive I was to him. This is an obvious fail. I know I won’t pass the interview but I can’t go back now. I will try my best.
He looks surprised too. His eyes travel up and down my body and up again lingering on my eyes. His gaze so hard and full of hatred. I want to turn around and just run. Run for my dear life because there is no way I’m getting this job with an interviewer who is an asshole.
“Sierra Adams?” he reads the name on a sheet of paper and stares at me.
“Yes sir.” Wait a minute. Why am I even calling him that? I see a smirk on his face. He is enjoying the sir title.
“Have a seat.” He says his face turning hard.
That was what I was waiting for. I don’t say that though.
“Thank you.” I gulp loudly avoiding his eyes and fix them to the lady who addressed us before. The HR.
“My name is Ray Parker. The rest will introduce themselves.” He says turning to look at the handsome guy beside him. The beautiful eyes don’t go unnoticed.
The rest introduce themselves but I don’t hear their names at all. All I think about is how stupid I was not to notice that the asshole and the CEO of Parker Publishing company are one and the same person. Of course I should have seen that. Then the most stupid part is that I didn’t think I would get him here after telling him off.
If I get the job, that is a strong if because I’m sure I won’t be getting it, how will I survive with him as a boss? I look at the faces before me and wonder how they even work under him. The guy is an asshat.
“So madam Sierra, tell us about yourself.”
Is he the one who will be doing the interviewing? Because if he is the one I’m doomed.
“I’m that person that is into literature and I like analyzing books and editing them…” I continue with the rest of the description patting myself at the back figuratively because I’m sure it was perfect.
“Nice. How long have you been in this field?” that’s the handsome guy. I notice he has a bright smile.
“Just finished college recently. I hardly have any experience but you never know how competent one is until you try them.” I answer confidently avoiding looking at the CEO. I guess I will put away the asshole word till further notice. They look at each other and nod smiling but the asshole, sorry, the CEO maintains a hard face.
“What are your weakness?” that’s the HR.
“My weakness is I can work continuously and forget what time it is. I can tend to overwork because reading is my passion and I believe in being competent in my work. Without any supervision.” I now look at Mr. Ray who nods tapping the table with his pen.
“In case of an issue with a colleague or employer, like, you are pissed off with the person, how do you deal with it?”
What the hell? Did he have to ask that after what happened in the morning? How do I answer that? Lie about it yet I know he saw my angry side? Do I tell him that I can even kill someone who has messed up with me?
Like the way I want to kill you. Jump over this table and strangle you.
I push that at the back of my mind and smile at him.
“I just talk it over with the person sir.” I’m composed.
“You don’t raise your voice on anyone who messes up with you?” what! What is he driving at?
“No. I believe in talking it out in a civilized way sir.” I answer avoiding his eyes.
“Nice. No calling of names?”
This son of a bitch! I know what he is driving at.
“No. I don’t do that sir.” I'm good at lying and putting on a false façade.
“What about outside there miss Adams? How do you deal with your anger?” This is now becoming irrelevant. The others are quiet. Of course they are not allowed to question their boss.
“I deal with all that in a civilized manner sir.” I see him raise his eyebrow questioningly and ignore it. I’m not letting him intimidate me.
The other questions are easy and general. My new “friend” doesn’t ask any other questions. All he does is study me, with the hard gaze. Not softening it at all.
“Thank you for coming. We will give you a call.” The HR says sweetly.
I nod and walk out, letting out a heavy breathe once I’m outside. The hallway is clear. The others have already gone. I sit and take out my phone to call Blake. She picks on the first ring.
“Hey babygirl?”
“Are you back?”
“Yes. I’m in the parking lot. You have taken too long. Do you have the job?”
“Not yet. Everything is complicated. I’m on my way.” I hang up and my phone almost falls when I see the person standing in front of me.
“So miss Adams, do you still need my insurance to sort out the mess I made in the morning?”
“No sir. It’s already sorted.” I say softly instead of telling him off. He leaves without another word. Is this guy some psychopath? I hate him more. It has now intensified. Maybe I should start looking for jobs in other places.
I take the elevator and walk out once it glides to a stop on the ground floor. I literally run to the car breathing heavily. Blake is already on the driver’s seat so I walk to the passenger's side and get in. I lean back on the chair and take sharp breathes. Blake is confused. I can tell by the way she is looking at me.
“So?” she arches her eyebrow her eyes not leaving mine. I take some water and gulp down loudly.
“I didn’t get the job.” That’s already obvious.
“Uh! How do you know that?”
“Because the CEO happens to be my worst enemy and so I can’t get it.”
“Wait a minute. I need to understand this. Do you know the CEO?”
“Yes.”
“Wow. Who is it?”
“The asshole who wrecked my car in the morning.”
“What? How?” she is obviously surprised.
Don’t worry Blake. I was that way when I saw him.
“Yes. He was in the interview room and made sure to ask questions drawing to what happened in the morning.”
“The hell!”
“I know Blake. This is so fucked up.”
“So he told you there is no job?”
“He didn’t but it’s obvious.”
“Don’t worry girl. You will get another job. Can we get out of here?”
“Yes. Just drive home.” I lean back on the seat and shut my eyes.