CHAPTER 22

RAY
My eyes catch mum’s glare and I quickly divert them to dad's eyes. It’s better to face dad’s unspoken anger than mum’s spoken anger. I know how much she hates Leila and has warned me several times that she doesn’t want to see her in our compound. Knowing my mum well, she will make sure the guards harass her next time she shows her face here. Her glare says it all.
“Ray?” Dad narrows his eyes at me and I obviously know what he means.
“I will sort this out. I will be back in a few.” I nod at dad and walk out gritting my teeth in anger. I’m going to tell her off once and for all.
She is waiting in the gazebo, the guard who I heard mum call Jeff has his eyes on her. I give him a quick nod and walk towards Leila trying to control my anger? Why am I angry at her? I know I don’t like her but I have never felt this too much anger toward her. It’s Sierra. Sierra explains why I’m like this.
“Leila.” I have tried to control my anger but my voice comes out in anger.
“Baby.” She calls hurling herself at me. I push her away quickly.
“What are you doing here?” I try hard not to grit my teeth.
I regret the day I brought her to this house. Mum wanted to introduce me to some girl and because I have never liked her, I ended up bringing Leila with me to pass the point across that I had a girlfriend. It was twice actually. I never liked the two of them but thinking back, I regret that decision. I shouldn’t have used her to show mum that I’m dating. I should have used someone else.
“I looked for you at your place and thought I should look here.” She says giving me a seductive smile. I fight the urge to scoff and glare at her.
“And who gave you the right to follow me everywhere?” I ask arching my eyebrow at her.
“I just thought you miss me.”
“I have never missed you Leila. You know that very well.” I say to her disappointment.
“Is it because of her?” she asks looking wounded.
“Because of who?” I know what she is talking about.
“The new girl in your office. I saw her and knew she was pure trouble but I didn’t know it would be that fast.” I don’t know why she is pretending to be hurt because we both know that what we have, sorry, what we had is not the real thing. She knows what she is after and what I want from her. Not anymore though.
“Meaning?” I cross my hands on my chest and wait for the evidence of her stupidity.
“Axel told me this yesterday. I thought he was bluffing.”
Oh! The jackass carried through with his threat.
“I see your informant did a good job.” I pause gauging her expression. “How about, we put an end to all this?” I want to put an end to all this bullshit. All this pretense.
I have been paying her to lie to people that she is my girlfriend but not anymore. I guess she knows there won’t be any money for her anymore and that's why she is pissed off. I have to put an end to this.
“What do you mean by that?”
“My point is, all this pretense is over. This boyfriend-girl friend thing is over. I’m done with it.”
“You can’t do this to me. We had an agreement.” She snorts but knows better than glaring at me. She knows perfectly well what I’m capable of.
“That’s right. We had but not anymore. It’s over. All the pretense is over.”
“That bitch!”
“What did you just say?” my jaw is now clenched. Did she just call Sierra a bitch?
“She spoiled everything.” She complains not daring to repeat the bitch word.
“Listen to me clearly Leila, don’t ever call Sierra names again. Two, I don’t want to see you near my place or this place. My office is a no-go zone for you too. I see you there and you won’t like what I’m capable of.” I tell her warningly and wait for all that to sink in her head before speaking again.
“Something else, don’t think you can hurt Sierra because whatever crap we had is over. Don’t dare touch her. Touch even her Shadow and I will make you miserable.” I threaten preventing myself from snapping her neck.
“You are such an asshole Ray.” She spits.
“Oh! You just found that out? Congratulations.” I say sarcastically with a smirk. I have always been an asshole. Anything else you would like to add before I tell the guard to throw you out?” I ask smirking and she walks away pouting.
That wasn’t so hard. Was it now? I can now breath some fresh air without having a girlfriend for hire. Who does that? I was totally crazy. Especially taking Leila as my girlfriend for hire.
“Ray.”
Geez! I was wrong about breathing in fresh air. And now I have to deal with mum’s choice!
“Yes Caren.”
“Your mum sent me to see whether everything is okay with you.”
The poor girl doesn’t know why mum did that. So that we can bond. Or if I’m not wrong, it was a way of telling Leila to fuck off. Well, mum can’t use such words so I imagine she would have to her to stay away from me.
“I’m okay. Thanks for asking.” I look at her for few minutes and she blushes. Not the blush I’m used to seeing on Sierra. “I guess we can go inside.” I say to save her from all the blushing.
I have not called Sierra. I want to know if she is alright. Whether she has found a house. She was to go house hunting with her brother and Blake.
“Go right ahead Caren. I’m joining you in a few.” I dismiss her and walk back to the gazebo to make the call.
I dial her number and her picture shows on the screen. I took a picture of her on Thursday and it’s her contact photo. She picks on the first ring.
“Hey?” I can feel her blushing.
“I called to hear how you are. Are you okay?”
“Yes. Thanks for asking. What about you?”
I'm somehow bored.” I want to tell her that I miss her so badly but this is what my stupid mind can come up with.
“Why? Is everything okay?” I hear concern in her voice and smile to myself. She is concerned about me.
“I’m at my folks place. We are having a very boring dinner.”
“Sorry about that.” I hear her chuckle on the other end. Her chuckle is simply adorable.
“I want to see you.” I say changing my tone. It’s a whisper now.
“For what?” she asks innocently.
“I don’t know. Maybe we can hang out and do something fun together.” I shrug knowing well that she isn’t seeing me.
“Something like?”
“Roller skating. There are many options.” I saw her at the rink and maybe she does that for fun.
“At this time?”
“Yes. It’s not that late Sierra. Or we can look for something more fun to do. What do you think about that?” I’m crossing my fingers hoping she will agree to it.
“I guess you can come.” She says finally.
“Okay. I’m picking you up in a few.” I hang up and stand up to walk to my car.
“Yees!” I find myself shouting as I get into the car.
The dinner?
Maybe next time. I will call mum once I’m out of here and tell her I had an emergency. She will understand. All I want to do is see Sierra and hang out with her.