CHAPTER 4

“Wake up Sierra. We are home.” Blake shakes me but I growl and lay my head on the window ignoring her. I’m so sleepy and I just need to relax and forget how shitty my day was. I hear her pout and slump back on her seat. I know she is holding her face in frustration like she always does and I can’t help but smile.
Her phone rings before I can catch some sleep making me sit upright.
“Urgh! You don’t have to put all that volume Blake. Your ringtone sucks.” I pout glaring at her and she laughs pressing the answer icon after she sticks out her tongue at me.
“Hey baby.” It has to be her boyfriend Ryan. I don’t know what he says on the other end because  he is not on speaker phone.
“Sure. We can. I’m sure Sierra will love that.” You can’t miss a blush on her face.
“love what?” I arch my brow.
“Roller skating. Ryan is bringing his best friend Noel.” She giggles covering the mouth piece to prevent Ryan from hearing our conversation.
“Of course I’m in.” I say with excitement. I want to see Noel. He is so cute and I sort of have a crush on him and I feel like he does too because he flushes a lot when we are together.
“She is game. Let’s get ready and we will meet you there.” I was so occupied with my crush on Noel such that I didn’t hear the rest of the conversation.
“Good. Let’s go and get ready. I can borrow your clothes.” She walks out excitedly and I have to run to catch up with her on the porch.
We sneak upstairs to my room before anyone can hear us. If Grandma or Julian hears us it will be hard to go out. Especially grandma. I’m sure she has a lot of questions on how my interview went and I’m in no mood for such a conversation. At least not now.
We both settle on tight blue jeans and a black tank tops, topping up with black ankle boots. Blake insists on redoing my make up and I roll my eyes wondering if we are going to the rink full of makeup. I sit down like the obedient friend though and let her work on my make-up.
Grandma is in the living room when we walk downstairs.
“How was the interview sweetie?”
“Will tell you later grandma.” I take Blake’s hand and pull her out of the house before she can ask anything else.
Noel and Ryan are already waiting for us when we arrive at the rink. Noel is in black jeans and a read sweatshirt while Ryan is in black sweatpants and a white t-shirt. Boys are always simple. Unlike us girls who have to put on make up even when going to the rink. I look at Blake and roll my eyes before proceeding to give the two men a hug.
“I hope you won’t fall on your ass Sierra. You are terrible at skating.” Blake says grinning.
“I will be careful not to  skating expert.” I say sarcastically and we all laugh. Blake and I are always the worst skaters. We enjoy skating but always end up falling down.
I put on my roller skates and smile at Noel when he helps me tie the laces. He smiles back at me and helps me up. Ryan does the same with Blake and we giggle at each other, obviously excited.
“Ready?” Noel asks and let’s go of my hand but grabs it when he sees wobbling almost falling. “You should have gotten used to this Sierra.” He says with that deep voice that I love. It’s true. We have been skating together long enough to make me perfect my skills.
“I can do this.” I take a sharp breathe and pull my hand away from his and follow him across the rink giggling.
“yaay! WE DID IT!” Blake shouts attracting attention to us. We get some deadly glares from the people around but we ignore them and skate across the rink grinning more.
“ We should race Sierra.” Blake shouts from the other end.
“Me and you?” I ask skating around slowly.
“Yap. I guess I will beat your ass to it.” She says with an evil smirk.
“You know that won’t happen.” I shout back at her.
“Let’s do it then.” She says and skates towards Noel and I smiling.
“You guys will be the referees.” She says bending down to tie the loose laces.
“Sure.” Ryan kisses her forehead and we stand beside each other ready to skate across the rink.
“You should move on a count of one to three. Okay?” Noel asks.
“Yes.” We agree and high-five each other.
“One…two…three. Go gir...” We take off even before he finishes his statement. I race ahead of Blake and turn my face to stick my tongue at her.
Boom! I collide with some hard body. Of course full of muscles. I almost fall but he grabs me and steadies me. I look at my saviour and groan.
“What the hell? Is this some kind of a joke?” The newest asshole in town asks clearly irritated. What is he even doing here. He should be at work. Okay. I know it’s his company and he can do as he fucking pleases  but he should not be here.
“Watch where you are going Miss Adams. We are always colliding with each other.” He snaps glaring at me.
“You are the one who should watch where you are going Mr. Parker.” I snap back fighting the urge to throw up because of his hands which are still around me. He notices it and withdraws his hands hastily making me fall on my ass.
Ouch!
This hurts. I hate this guy. I fucking hate him.
“Too feisty for someone who handles arguments in a nice way.” He says sarcastically his glare intensifying.
“If I would have known you own that company you can bet I wouldn’t have showed up for the interview.” I say rubbing my behind. This is going to hurt for a whole week.
“No one forced you to show up.” He says bitterly. What is the problem with this guy? He is just so bitter with life.
“I’m glad I won’t be getting that job. Your attitude is terrible and it makes one want to throw up.” I say scrunching my nose in a disgusted manner.
“Who is this baby?” Some lady who has joined us asks. I take in her dressing and wonder if that’s how people dress to go roller skating. She is in a black bandage dress which has a lot to show to the outside world. I get why she is the girlfriend. Their attitudes match.
“No one important. Just some random girl who can’t watch where she is going.” He says in a disgusted manner. “Let’s go.” He takes her hand and they skate away leaving me on the floor.
I look at Ryan, Noel and Blake who are all standing looking at me.
Thanks for the help assholes.
“That’s Mr. Parker?” Blake asks helping me up.
“Yes. I just hate him.”
“Should we continue?”
“Of course yes Blake. I still want to compete with you.” I immediately skate to the end of the rink and catch a glimpse of the asshole on the phone. He isn’t holding her hand anymore.
We continue skating with excitement until my phone vibrates in my pocket. I take it out and check the caller ID. It’s a new number. Who could be calling at such a time? I lean back on a rail and tap the answer icon waiting for the caller to talk.
“Good afternoon?” it’s a lady and I wonder what she wants. I prefer men calling me. “Am I speaking to Sierra Adams?” wow! Who is this that knows me.
“Yes. It’s her.” I answer not really interested in the conversation.
“This is Abby from Parker publishers calling.” Parker publishers? Why would they call me?
“Okay. Listening.”
“You came for the interview, right?”
“Yes.” I arch my eyebrow at Blake who is trying to listen to our conversation.
“We chose you as the new editor. You can start work tomorrow.”
What the fuck?
“Wait, is this some kind of a joke? Because if it is then it’s a sick one.” I shake my head widening my eyes.
“it’s not a joke miss. You are required to start working tomorrow. Have a good day. Parker publishers is looking forward to working with you.”
“Wait…” her phone goes dead before I can protest.
“What was that?” Blake always likes to know everything.
“Some mental lady telling me I passed the interview.” This is a very sick joke.
“Wow Sierra. This calls for a celebration.” She squeals grinning.
“There is nothing to celebrate there. I’m not taking this job.” How can I take it knowing how the boss is? No way.
“Come on Sierra. This has always been your dream since first year. We graduated and you don’t have a job yet.” She reasons with me.
“What about that asshole?” I look around to see whether he is still here but it’s as if he has disappeared.
“Just go there and ignore him. As long as you don’t collide it’s okay.” She pleads with me.
“I don’t know Blake.” I throw my hands up in surrender.
“Take it Sierra. Please.” She continues begging.
“Okay. I’m taking it.”
“Yeey! Let’s go and celebrate this.