Chapter 3

I focused my thoughts back to the conversation to see why he had stopped. He started hyperventilating and pointed to his throat. He couldn't breathe. My instincts kicked in. I told him to stand up and went behind him to perform the Heimlich maneuver. I stopped mid-way realizing he hadn't eaten anything. I immediately went for my bag and reached for my scalpel.

 "I need some clean cloths and alcohol now!!! It's an emergency!", I shouted.

             Thankfully a barista was cleaning a table beside me and handed me both items. I pulled out my phone and unlocked it, asking the barista to type in one of my colleagues number. 

"Hang in there, Mr. Stan." 

            Liz picked up.

 "Liz, I need you to send an ambulance to Starbucks RIGHT NOW! Tell the medics it's an emergency tracheotomy!"

 "Will do." 

             I hung up and turned back to Sebastian and said:

 "Hold still, this is gonna hurt."

                 Before I knew it, I had cut his throat and inserted a tube and a breathing bag. I had been pumping for a few minutes when the paramedics arrived. They started to put him on a stretcher, but I refused to stop pumping. I told them I was a resident at the hospital and that there was no way I was staying behind. Eventually they let me straddle him on the stretcher and continue to pump the breathing bag. Once in the ER, I stepped down the stretcher and handed the bag to a nurse. I prepped myself for surgery and went inside. The procedure was quick. We stabilized his vitals and put him on automatic ventilation. He was soon headed to a room. I would visit him in a few hours once he woke up.