( thirty )

Once Octavia left, Harley wasn't sure where she was going from where she was

Once Octavia left, Harley wasn't sure where she was going from where she was. Murphy was long gone too, for all she knew, still angry about her choosing not to tell him about the radiation. Kane had said, according to Abby, he was fine, but not available. It seems like everyone Harley loved more than her life weren't speaking to her, were far away in places she was sure she'd never see again. Praimfaya was close, almost on top of them, even though it seemed like days ago she had found out about it. All Harley could do was stay home, remain scared despite the brave front, joining the crowd surrounding Thelonious Jaha when he came back speaking about a bunker.

"... There is an underground aquifer with a filtration system that is still operational," Jaha's voice boomed in announcement. Harley crossed her arms over her chest and joined in standing next to Monty, who was beaming as he listened. "Some of the water will go to the hydroponic farm. Isn't that right, Mr. Green?" Jaha turned to Monty, gesturing with a grin.

"Most beautiful thing I've ever seen," Monty confirmed. His head turned, scanning Harper with a look of pure love before he finished with; "Almost."

Despite the despair Harley had struggled with, she couldn't help but soften. "Oh, you're so sweet," she softly cooed, unable to help herself. Monty's lips pressed tightly together as he flushed a bright red at her compliment.

"It won't be easy," Jaha went on. "There will be plenty of hard work to go around. But together, we have struggled." He paused to grin. "And together, we will rise." A cheer rose in the ground, all except for Harley who stayed silent, her arms remaining crossed while everyone pumped their fists in the air. "Pack your things!" Jaha called over them. "Just what you can carry. We leave at first light."

At his instructions, one by one, the people began to leave. A few passing by the three stopped to pat Monty's shoulder, leaving kind words as he was the one who found the safe bunker. "You're a hero, Monty," Harper teased, nudging at his arm.

"Stop," Monty pleaded with an embarrassed smile. "Go pack. I'll be there as soon as we finish at the armory." Harper nodded back, a loving glint in her eye even Harley could see before she leaves. Monty turned to look at Harley, skin on his forehead creasing when seeing she wasn't moving. "You aren't going to pack?"

Loosely, Harley shrugged. She didn't consider going back to her room and packing anything. The safe bunker found was news to her, and she felt indifferent towards it. "The two people I care about the most aren't here or there, so what do I have to take?" She said dully.

The flatness in Harley's tone hadn't gone unnoticed. Monty cocked his head, forcing her to really look at him. "What happened to the girl that believed we could survive anything when sticking together?" He asked. Becoming silent, Harley's mouth slowly opened before shutting. She didn't have an answer for him, which left the worst feeling washing over her. She remembered that being all she preached for months, that nothing too violent could happen that wouldn't leave an option for peace. But maybe Harley was starting to believe she was wrong.