( twenty-six )

It's almost awkward to be inside Polis' square after the destruction that had taken place two or so days ago when Ilian destroyed the Flame

It's almost awkward to be inside Polis' square after the destruction that had taken place two or so days ago when Ilian destroyed the Flame. Nothing had been confirmed by any of the ambassadors or Roan yet about the Flame, but rumor that it was gone had been spreading like a wildfire. She knew every clan who believed it mostly blamed Skaikru even though they hadn't smashed it, but she wasn't too surprised by that. Harley ignored the sharp stares being sent towards both her and Kane sat at his office table, waiting for Octavia to join them. He had called them both for a small meeting, and Harley was the first to show.

When Octavia did appear at the entrance, her gaze immediately met Harley's. She had changed her clothing for a new jacket with a sharp shoulder pad, her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail tied in three places, taut enough for Harley to see her cutting features. She didn't break the stare as she approached the table, arms clasped behind her and head tilted in question. Kane gestured to the empty chair next to Harley. "Have a seat."

Pulling the chair out and making it scrape, Octavia slowly sat down. "What did I do now?" She questioned, sounding like a stubborn teenager about to be given a stern lecture by a parent.

"Apparently, we need to have a serious talk," Harley replied softly, warning Octavia to drop the jokes and focus on their main task.

Kane nodded. "Rumors of the Flame's destruction are spreading. People on the street openly call for the king's head." He threaded his fingers together and leaned forward. "Your choices have consequences."

Lower lip curling, Octavia scoffed. "Would you rather I killed Indra's daughter?"

"We'd rather you didn't kill," Kane responds simply.

"Our mission is to keep Roan on the throne," Octavia reminded them spitefully. "To buy time for the others to find a way to save us from the radiation. I'm doing that."

"Are you?" Harley challenged quietly. "Cause the way I see it, your decisions caused the clans wanting to decapitate Roan." Octavia's jaw clamped shut, silenced as Harley continued. "I know what you did, Octavia. You cut off the head of an innocent looter to make Roan think he stole the Flame." The way Indra described it brought a shudder to Harley's spine each time she thought about it. But Indra hadn't seemed to care too much, only glad it was him instead of Gaia. This was the first time Harley felt ashamed of the girl she had grown a deep fondness for.

Finally meeting Harley's eyes, Octavia countered her declaration in a low sneer. "Everyone's guilty of something."

"There's a darkness in you, Octavia." Kane's whisper broke an argument bound from breaking out. "I know this is hard." Octavia's features wipe clean until her expression is like stone, pushing herself up to rise and leave. "Sit down!" Kane's exclamation keeps her from moving away, only holding a short glare towards him before reluctantly sitting back down. "You didn't have to kill that boy. You didn't have to kill Ambassador Rafel." He paused before finishing much more harshly. "You didn't have to kill Pike."