His nose wrinkles in distain at the mention of Jefferson and Madison, and he replies stiffly, "It's also why our nation has an efficient financial system."

I nod and loop my arms through his. "My genius husband," I grin, looking up at him, and he smiles back tentatively.

"Come on. Let me show you the city," he says, tugging me forward, and I allow him to lead us through the streets.

It's only when we've begun walking that I realize the city is more crowded, too. The sidewalks are full of people and the streets crowded with carriages and horses. I'm watchful as we walk, my focus split between studying the new Philadelphia and ensuring I don't run into anyone or anything.

I'm casually looking across the street when I spot the three men. Hamilton must see them at the same time as I do because I feel him stiffen beside me.

My hand tightens on his jacket where my arm is looped through his, the wool of his jacket scratching lightly against my fingers. I dare a look at Hamilton's face to see him glaring daggers at the three men, not even bothering to hide his distaste.

I jostle his arm and murmur, "You can at least try to appear cordial towards them."

Hamilton's gaze slides to mine, eyes softening somewhat, but I can tell he's still irked by the sight of the men.

"I can't help it, my dear Eliza. Jefferson and Madison have been holding a grudge against me since I became Secretary of Treasury. Their views are the exact opposite of mine. They're too focused on their own state of Virginia than the union of our nation. They just want more money for their state. It's why they wanted the capital farther south, and it's also why they didn't want to assume state debts. It would've meant that Virginia would end up paying off a lot of the national debt."

"Then what did Burr ever do to you?" I ask, eyeing the colonel from where we've stopped on the side of the sidewalk.

Last I checked, Hamilton didn't really like Burr, but now it seems as if he holds a personal grudge against the man.

Burr walks to the side of Jefferson and Madison. To be honest, he looks like he's being third wheeled and desperately wants to be included. It's mainly Jefferson and Madison talking to each other with Burr occasionally trying to get his piece in. Except, every time Burr opens his mouth, Madison and Jefferson glance warily his way, maybe saying a word or two, before going back to their conversation.

I almost feel sorry for Burr.

That is until Hamilton says, "A couple of years ago I tried to fund a sanitation project here in Philadelphia. It was to help reconstruct and build a sewage system so that the spread of yellow fever wouldn't be as rampant in the summer."

I glance at the sun at his words. It's definitely warmer, now. It's September, so it's a little late for a yellow fever outbreak, but not too late. It can definitely still happen.

Hamilton continues, "Burr helped me fund it by creating a company called the Manhattan Company. Except, it turned out to be a new bank that caters mostly to Democratic-republicans. To make matters worse, he'd also covertly added a statement in the bank's contract that essentially put the bank into his control, and in the process lost all the money to fund the new sewage system."

He sighs with irritation before continuing, "It turns out Burr only wanted to create a Democratic-Republican bank to counter my own, not even carrying that he was ruining a chance to benefit the city and save people's lives."

Hearing this, I look at Burr with a glare equal to Hamilton's earlier one. Hamilton laughs at the sight and gives me a fond kiss on my cheek.

Suddenly, the three men all look our way, and Hamilton and I both suck in a breath. I catch sight of Hamilton tipping his hat in greeting out of the corner of my eye. Jefferson only smirks and tips his hat, too, but it's almost mocking. Madison tips his hat as well, but Burr only stands there, his eyes boring holes into Hamilton.