Collar

"Why do I have to go through you? Are you the leader of their gang or something?" I wondered.

The mysterious man chuckles again, and his laughter was like music to my ears. His laughing was so familiar and pleasant, even though I knew he was taunting me.

"No, I have no idea who they are." He shrugs. "But you don't know them either so I don't know why you're attacking them."

I look at Joon and he looks back at me. This man was so strange.

"Well it really isn't your business but if you must know, these doofuses were forcing Joo-I mean, this cart-owner to give some of his money. Now that isn't fair, don't you agree?" I cross my arms.

The mysterious man raises his brow, conflicted. "No, I don't agree. This world is ruled by surivival of the fittest- everybody has to do what they have to survive. How don't you know the gang isn't poor or starving?"

Is this guy an idiot? "Um, you can look at their clothes! One of the men has a silver chain- a poor person can not afford that!" I exclaim.

"But how do you know the cart-owner isn't manipulating you? What if he's wealthier than he appears?" The man asks.

"Well, I don't know but he still doesn't deserve any of his hard-earned cash to be stolen-"

"But what if the money he earned isn't justified? What if he's exploiting underpaid workers and he's taking most of the profits? We really don't know the full story." He rubs his chain.

Well I do know because Joon is my friend! And Joon was doing his best to survive! Not that this annoying man had the right to know any of it.

"I don't care. I defend those who cannot defend themselves so I will protect the cart-owner."

The collared man covered his mouth and yawns. "And I'm really bored. So let's have a little fun, shall we, The Warrior?"

I'm stunned, "H-how do you know me?"

"Rumors were spread about you. A short, high-pitched man with a big mouth and attitude running the streets like he owns them. Tends to emphasize social justice issues but tends to contradict himself. Acts like he's smart but knows nothing. You fit the description well," he smirks.

My jaw clenches. "And who might you be?" I squint my eyes, to see if I can recognize him from anywhere. But the collar of his robe was covering the bottom part of his face.

"Someone who can can definitely fight better than you," he assures me.

   "Really? I'll see about that." Without giving him warning, I run towards him and try to grab him by his collar. He ducks and then pushes my chest.

    Before I realize it, my back is on the ground and I'm facing the sky.

"Ooh, that's got to hurt!" The audience yells. As I tilt my head up, I notice that a crowd is surrounding us.

I look to my left and I see Joon cringing. It's difficult to see your friend being hurt and especially someone who is supposed to be great at fighting.

But today... it looks like I'm not that great.

The collared man chuckles and bends down. "This is the legendary 'The Warrior' I've heard about? He's already on the ground with a light push!"

The crowd laughs and I feel humiliated. But I won't give up yet. Not until I'm spitting blood.

"I might be on the ground, but I'm not done with you!" I yell out and do a backwards flip to get back on my feet.