iii

Steve carried the casket, tears welled up in his eyes. Kara was sitting next to Sam, and she couldn't take it.

Her eyes were burning, and if she'd tightened her fist any more, she'd break her own hand. Peggy Carter, dead. Kara had been there for her for so long, that she couldn't imagine it.

Last time she'd seen her before she hit her nineties, was when she was 77, in 1998, and Kara still looked like a 24 year old. Now she's gone forever.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter, to come up and say a few words." The priest says as Sharon walks up. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD. But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But, it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage at a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise when you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty, to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, "No...you move."

————

Kara and Sam had left Steve and Nat to talk, but Kara was still listening.

"When I came out of the ice, thought I wanted to ignore she was gone. When I found out that she was alive, I was just lucky to have her." Steve sadly said. "She had you back, too." Natasha trying to slightly make him feel better. "Who else signed?" He asked.

"Tony, Rhodey, Zatanna, Vision." She said. "Clint?". "Says he's retired.". "Wanda?". "TBD." She said. "Any word on Diana? I heard you two were keeping in touch?" Nat sighs. "No decision, her mother doesn't even know if she's willing to leave Themyscira."

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." She offered. "Just because it's the path of least resistance, doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." She says. "What are we giving up to do it." He painfully grimaces. "Sorry, Nat. I can't sign it." He says. "I know.".

"Well then, what are you doin here?" He looks at her in confusion. "I didn't want you to be alone." She says, before giving him a hug. "Come here."

————

It had been a day or so, and Nat was confident this would quietly blow over and maybe the team could sort out their differences.

She looks around as she stands in the lobby, searching through her phone for a number.

D❤️

She dials the number, waiting for Diana to answer. "Hello, beautiful." Nat blushes slightly. "Hey. You come to a decision? I'd kill Ross if he ever thought of coming after you and your mother." She hears Diana chuckle.

"Yes, I'm actually in D.C., I signed when I first landed this morning. After the conference, will I be able to see you?" The redhead lifts her head for half a second, her eyes catching Kara smirking. "Uh, yes. Totally."

"Good. We'll speak after?" Nat hums, the line clicking, as Kara saunters over, her heels clicking as her dress pants swayed. " 'Totally!', you're so lame and you know it." She laughs. "Whatever Danvers, stay out my business and be my bodyguard like you so humbly offered." Kara scoffs.

"I'm just here because I can absorb bombs and such." Natasha rolls her eyes, patting her friends shoulder as they walk towards the elevator. "I'll be outside, keep an eye out for anything susp-" Kara clutches her chest in pain, making Nat worried. "You alright blondie?" Nat smirks.

"I think I just got motion sickness, I'll be fine, you go on." Kara backs away, walking through the lobby to the back of the building to a trash can. Gaining a few looks as she violently coughs into it.

"Hallo, bist du Supergirl?" She hears a voice say behind, Kara's attention shift to a mother and her child. "Ja, das bin ich." She responds kindly. "Mein Sohn ist ein großer Fan, er liebt die Avengers." Kara smiles at the small toddler.

"Oh, das ist großartig, arbeitest du hier?" The woman nods, picking up her child i. her arms. "Ja, er wollte seine Helden treffen, da bin ich mir sicher"

"Hey, während die Konferenz beginnt, willst du meinen neuen Anzug sehen, er breitet sich über meine Kleidung aus?" The toddler nods, watching Kara pull out the small contraption Tony and Zatanna had made for her, clipping on her chest as the rest of her suit forms around her. Before she could talk more she watches as one of the guard dogs begins to bark.

"Du solltest reinkommen, etwas stimmt nicht." She watches the two hurry around into the building, Kara going in the opposite direction towards the news van, her eyes searching for what might have been inside but her X-Ray vision wasn't working.

It had already seemed too late for her reaction, a bomb blowing her back from the truck. Ringing ran in her ears, screaming was loud in them.

She popped up, removing the suit. Using her ice breath, she cooled down the areas around her set on fire.

Looking around, the area was desolate, fire department trucks rushing on the scene.

<>

"What were you there for if you weren't going to notice the bomb threat?!" Ross yells. Kara bowed her head in shame as Natasha sat in the corner of his office. "She'd been compromised." Natasha spoke. Ross raises an eyebrow, needing to know more.

"Go on."

"Someone reported a weird gas coming from the vents, it wasn't toxic for humans, but it made her sick. It was a gas grenade laced with Kryptonite." Ross sighs, looking over at Kara.

"This couldn't have been them, Ross. Neither of them know what Kryptonite is, and it's not like they would've seen it, after '92 I was put in the Phantom Zone by secret HYDRA operatives." Ross scoffs, sitting in his chair.

"We have footage of both of their faces in the parking lot near the explosion. It was them. We're going to find, and take them, dead or alive." Kara's eyes drift to the floor.

"You're dismissed."

————

"Look, I know you were all friends in the good old days, but they were bred to become cold blooded assassins with an emotion trigger." Natasha says as the two walk down a flight of stairs from Ross' office.

"So was I, from a young age, like you. Ya know... that's where they got the idea from. Overgirl... young child who became dependent upon superiors and compliant. I got out of it, they can too."

"That was what? 20 years? You were able to fight their mind games, they've been in it for 70, it's too far gone." The red head sighs, pushing the door open as they walk onto the D.C. Kara sighs to herself, stumbling with her walk.

"You alright, blondie?"

Kara's knees buckle underneath her, and Natasha catches her before she falls on the ground. "Kara! Kara?!" She taps Kara's face as the girl becomes unconscious.

"Kara!"