Chapter 11

Mintpaw woke to after another dream about Hollyleaf. She thought back to her dream. Hollyleaf had warned her that very soon, some cat will die at the mercy of the breeze. What does it mean? Mintpaw was starting to get frustrated with this whole prophecy thing. She's not a medicine cat, she shouldn't have to deal with these mouse-brained prophecies! If was really that important, then why doesn't Hollyleaf just tell me?

    "Mintpaw!" Dovewing called to her from outside of the den. She hurried outside to find that Owlpaw, Bumblestripe, and Ivypool waiting for them.

    "Where's Hollypaw?"

    "She was out night hunting and fell into a thornbush, she's in Jayfeather's den getting herbs for the scratches." Owlpaw told her. Mintpaw Glanced over to the medicine den just in time to see a grumpy Hollypaw come out, her pelt plastered in herbs. When she sat down by them, Bumblestripe started talking.

    "Today we are having a special battle training race." He stated, then continued. "Your task is to get to the lake before the others. There are obstacles in your way, when you deal with them remember to keep your claws sheathed."

       "When do we start?" Hollypaw asked.

       "Now!" Dovewing yowled. MIntpaw raced towards the thorn tunnel, then turned towards the lake. So far nothing has challenged her. This is going to be easy. She thought smugly. Mintpaw ran faster, dodging trees in her way. Then she heard a yowl of pain close by.

       Mintpaw forgot about the race and sped towards the yowl. When she got close, she stopped to taste the air. She could smell the strong scent of cat, and a moment later she spotted some familiar light ginger fur.  Mintpaw ran over to Sandstorm.

       "Sandstorm! Are you okay?"

       "Yeah, i'm fine." The aging she-cat told her. "Just twisted my paw on this tree root." She tried to stand, wincing as she fell back down.

       "You're not okay, Sandstorm. I'm getting help. Dovewing should be close by." Mintpaw only ran a few tail-lengths, before crashing into a mass of gray fur. "Sandstorm's hurt." She exclaimed before going back to where Sandstorm lay. Dovewing followed.

       "Mintpaw, go get Jayfeather." Mintpaw nodded and raced towards camp. The trees flew past her as she ran, and soon she was at the camp. when she was through the entrance, she ignored all the cats there and headed to the medicine den.  

       "Jayfeather." She called. "Sandstorm's, hurt." Mintpaw said between breaths.

       "I'll get my herbs." Jayfeather mewed. Mintpaw walked out of the medicine den to wait for the blind medicine cat. A few moments later, Bumblestripe and Dovewing came into camp, a heavily limping Sandstorm between them.  They helped her into the medicine den where Jayfeather was waiting.  He sniffed at her paw, gently prodding at it with his nose.

       "She's going to be fine. Just a bad sprain, but you'll have stay in her for a few days while it heals."

       Mintpaw was glad Sandstorm was okay,But as she was walking out of the medicine den, a familiar scent wrapped around her. The breeze is close, and will only bring blood.