22 | Wish

Kelyn

I met Batse through Avi.

Avi, Neru, Alef and I had always been best friends since we were kids. But the whole reason I knew Batse, was because of him.

Our small little group was constantly with each other throughout childhood, but we were boys and we were always running outside or looking for something to do. I didn't meet Batse until two years ago, when we ran into Qivi and her at a gas station. I only introduced myself at the time, but when Avi found out I was interested, he took it upon himself to hook us up. And we've been together since.

I had him to thank.

And as I looked at Batse, I realized I hadn't even said thank you. She was sitting in the back next to Qivi. It was Qivi's first time actually going out since Avi left. She wanted to go to our secret hangout, which was an abandoned barn. We found it a few years back and used it as a safe haven when we didn't want to go back home.

We arrived and piled outside. Oliver and I pulled open the side door which was becoming rustier over time. That's when we heard something inside. It sounded like a moan. So I knew it was a person.

"Shit." It hissed.

I looked at Oliver in confusion before peering inside, but I didn't see anyone. "Hello?"

"It's just us." It was another voice. It was a girl. I knew that voice anywhere.

"Mal?"

"Yeah." She called back.

I stepped inside, looking around. Then from a dark corner, Mal and Jaq stepped out from behind a little wall of wood. Oh my- "What are you doing here?" I asked.

Everyone followed me inside, confused.

I just watched as my older sister straightened her sweater. Her lips were swollen and Jaq's hair was a tousled mess on his head. She blushed and rubbed her arm, obviously embarrassed. He just looked at me, like a deer caught in headlights. "We didn't think anyone was gonna be here..."

Mal glared at him, shoving her elbow into his side. He grunted and cleared his throat. "I mean.." he glanced at Mal. "Shit babe, they probably know what we were doing." Her cheeks turned even redder.

"You're so stupid." Oliver laughed loudly at his best friend, earning a glare from him.

"Who's with Luna?" Batse asked.

"Alef." Jaq replied. Then he looked at us. "Wait. What are you guys doing here?"

"I just wanted to get out the house." Qivi said.

They nodded in understanding. Mal tugged on Jaq's sleeve so he followed her lead to the left side door. "Well, we were just leaving. You guys can have this to yourselves. We'll see you guys later." They waved us goodbye and left us four.

I wondered why I hadn't seen Jaq's car, but realized that if he parked by the side entrance, we wouldn't have seen it from the other side. We unloaded extra blankets and sat on the floor, in the center of the barn. There were a few chairs scattered around, but the girls insisted on bringing the blankets because they claimed the chairs were uncomfortable. Batse even decided to pack a backpack full of snacks and drinks, just in case.

She settled down next to me on the blankets, while Qivi and Oliver had spread out across from us. She sat in between his stretched out legs. Qivi looked good. She had a lot more color on her face than Luna did. I knew Oliver was trying his best to keep her happy. It was tough. I knew how hard it was.

"Are you ready for the service?" Batse asked, to no one in particular. We all knew it was directed to Qivi.

She hesitated, "I don't know... not really. I'm still processing everything. I won't be able to see him one more time."

Oliver squeezed her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm kinda bummed we can't see him. But at the same time, I think if I did, I wouldn't be able to handle it." Batse said.

"Me, too." Qivi agreed.

Oliver sent a look directed to me, his eyes wary. He was just as afraid as I was. I wanted to see Avi too. Maybe just one more time.

I wanted to tell him that he shouldn't have left. I wanted to yell at him for causing so much pain in everyone. He didn't have to do this. I wish I could have stopped him. I wish I could have done something. But these are all stupid wishes.

And deep down inside of me I know things are supposed to be this way. Even if it hurts. Even if I don't understand. I have Batse. And I'm thankful for that.

GreenlandOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara