01 | Freezing

Kelyn's Point of View

The snow crushed beneath my boots as I scraped ice hard snow in the driveway with a shovel. It was dark, like most winter days and lampposts illuminated the barren street. Indistinct chatter filled the house behind me and the sound floated outside when a door creaked open. I was freezing my butt off and a gust of wind blew through the air, causing me to shiver.

"Kelyn, you should head home now." a woman's voice suggested. It was Mrs. Anguk, my elderly neighbor. She gestured for my hand and placed her frail ones in mine. I realized immediately what she was doing and shook my head.

"I haven't finished, yet." I argued.

She smiled warmly and released the money into my hand. "The weather is getting extremely chilly and I can't have you ill. Go home, I insist."

I stiffly nodded, despite myself to please her will. My lips were chapped and my legs were shaking uncontrollably. "Have a nice night, Mrs. A."

"And you, go home now before you freeze to death." she said. The corners of my lips twitched into a smile and I scurried off with my shovel in hand.

I pulled the beanie tighter on my head and tugged the hood of my coat over it. My hands clenched into fists and I shoved them into my pockets. I trudged through a foot high of snow as fast as I could but slowed when faint crying drifted into earshot. It sounded familiar so I halted and searched my surroundings. My eyes landed on a figure slumped against a dead tree. I recognized the house immediately and rushed towards it in long strides. Her head rose as I approached her but she didn't attempt greeting me, she simply sobbed. Tears, dripping down her flushed cheeks. I engulfed her in a hug and endeavored to calm her.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey." I began. "Talk to me, Luna."

Her shoulders shook, but she opened her mouth only to let out another cry of sorrow.

"Deep breaths." I instructed, inhaling. "Inhale and exhale."

She did as I told her but the tears were overflowing. "Go i-inside. Th-the others are th-there."

I stared at her in disbelief. She did not utter an explanation of any sorts and expected me to leave. This was not like her. "What's wrong?" I pried.

Her blonde hair whipped against her face as she shook her head and I noticed how purple her lips were. "P-please." she pleaded.

"Luna, you're freezing your ass off. Come inside."

"No." she argued, though she had no authority in her shaky voice.

I did not budge.

Her dark brown eyes met mine and sent a whirl of emotions through my body. Grief. Sadness. Anger. Disappointment. Sorrow. Pain. Despair. "Please, Kelyn." she begged, her voice cracking. "Go i-inside. Please."

So I obeyed her command and joined everyone else in the house.

"Batse." I called, once I entered through the door. I pulled my coat off and piled it onto the back of the nearest chair.

I met her green eyes from across the room and she grinned, running to meet me. "Hey, I thought you were going to Mrs. A's." she said, after a brief embrace.

"I just came from her place. She let me out early. The weather and whatever." I shrugged.

"Kel, my man." Alef announced, hopping over the couch to pull me into a bro-hug. "You come for a drink or what?"

"Just stopping by. I didn't know you'd all be here." I admitted, reluctantly following Batse into the living room. I collapsed onto the couch along with everyone else.