Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 1/3)

Start from the beginning

          Elisious furrowed his brow, the only way he could show confusion as he practically swallowed another cookie. 

          "I don't think I should go back to Earth," Káel continued, gaze drifting to the mounding covers that hid his right leg where the pain pricked like a buzzing nest of wasps.

          "You like this room?"

          Káel answered with a look of confusion, his uncle distracted with staring at the space as if he'd just painted it. "Sure?"

          "It's not your drab and depressing earth bedroom, or those cheaply furnished double dorms that Cobalt extorts everyone with." Elisious took in a breath, calmed by the earthy scent that came from the wood. "But it's yours if you like it. I'll figure the rest out."

          Káel smiled, hoping the warmth reached his uncle well enough without a hug. He didn't want to risk the pain of even shifting an inch right now. 

          "Now I suppose we should discuss the matter at hand," Elisious continued, his voice dressing back up to business as he grabbed the thorny crown and stuck it back on his head. "The students accompanying you are being questioned by the council representatives that came here with Lady Samanthra. I've told them everything I know."

          "What?" Káel paled, betrayal ripping right into his heart and shoving his body into a cold pool of regret. Novan's were a threat to all Lumers, he should have known.

          "You set out to Fairez Stella and broke your leg running from Valerans during your journey. The kind samaritan that found you gave you and your friends a ride here after recognising Strylaz, and you have been confined to a bed for the past two days." Elisious' lips pricked into a devious grin as Káel relaxed. "You are not to lie before any golems the council brings with them, they can sense your heartbeat. You have no obligation to answer any questions that may stretch this truth."

          "Got it," Káel replied, finding an appetite for the treats beside him as the lump in his throat shrank, shortbread and tart red jam tickling his taste-buds. "Thanks."

          "What sort of uncle would I be if I didn't humour you?" Elisious shifted in his chair, eyeing the windows before slipping his hand into the folds of his clothing and pulling out a tiny stick of wood.

          It took Káel a moment to recognise the tiny winter tree branch, not even a fifth of its original size. His brow dipped as Elisious pulled back the covers over his right leg and worked on hiding it next to one of the wooden planks immobilising it. "Where's the rest of it?"

          Elisious looked over his shoulder. "The rest of it is mine. I've no idea what Tesirus damned purpose you have for this stick, but it should be more than enough." When the stick was completely concealed he pulled the covers back. "I'd say you should thank your friend Truvius for this, but he won't shut up about how he got it. As if suddenly ripping a branch from a man's hands is akin to slaying the next Iraxxus."

          Káel laughed, his uncle's words easy to imagine. But what he still couldn't quite swallow was the sight in the alley. Sora barreling to their rescue with a handgun, and casting a spell that sent a silver dragon to the skies.

          "So Sora is from here?"

          "Not Fairez Stella, but yes, Sora Lithraime. Her father is a good friend, so I allowed her request to study the many arts and inventions of Earth alongside you."

          Father. Káel tensed at the word. The story on Earth was that his parents had simply abandoned him, one he hadn't heard from his uncle's mouth, but assumed. Now, the crown poking past his uncle's golden brown hair left room for more creative theories.