Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 3/3)

Start from the beginning

          Her footsteps stopped, a wall of dark green robes blocking Káel's vision.

          "He went through with the illegal spell, as he had time and time again. Helping people with various spells that their modernised forms could not yet achieve. But this time, as he recited the spell, he claimed to have said one word wrong."

          Káel felt a lump clogging at his throat. Phantom had already told him what happened when you messed up ancient spells.

          "Three hundred and sixteen people died that day, the wrath of Diadamourn curing them of their lives. The caster, punished as being the sole survivor."

          The silence Samanthra kept was deafening. A spear of words crafted to kill just one person. One person who had excused their actions as steps to help others. Fixed a Zodraic Battery to help Ray. Tried to use it to free Puff.

          "I've seen too many people to count that though they were above rules, very few of them survived the fall."

          Ready to use it to free Phantom.

          "Not only is it dangerous, it's selfish."

          All so he could get back to Earth.

          Káel could feel something on his cheek, the stuffy cloud drowning his lungs easing out of his eyes instead, fear and guilt indistinguishable as he took everything to remain rigid and staring forwards. 

          "Káel. Did you practice ancient lumience in that room?"

          Káel bit his tongue.

          If he gave them this question, Phantom would be next.

          "Oh Tesirus have mercy this is ridiculous!" Vera boomed, shooting to her feet with all the air of a wolf defending her cubs. "I know a trap when I see one, you all have nothing to ground your claims so you're trying to squeeze a confession. Bring out the proof, or my father will have a word."

          "Sit down Ms. Strylaz, or have you more to provide for this discussion than bringing your father into every argument?" Lady Samanthra boomed, quelling some of the fire in Vera's eyes as she dipped back into the seat.

          "This isn't a discussion," Vera growled, drilling into the side of Káel's head and smacking his arm for some attention so she could throw a handkerchief at his face. "You look ridiculous. We're not here because of you, it's that blonde Iraxxus spawn pointing fingers and abusing his power."

          "Káel had prior knowledge of that rooms existence, he has in fact known about it since the start of school. I've caught him venturing into it, and the forest many times. In one such incident he was collecting pixie dust, a common ingredient for ancient rituals," Ray spoke up, holding Vera's glare as Samanthra ignored their impenetrable beam of hostility.

          "So I've heard Mr. Peterson," Samanthra said, her displeasure now landing directly on the elite. "I was quite happy to hear you detail every incident in which you caught Mr. Williams in that room, and your suspicions that he was practicing illegal magics. I was even happier that you decided to hijack you duties as not only an elite, but a role model for the students of this academy, and postpone bringing these stories and suspicions to me when they occured."

          Ray dipped his head, knowing better than to take a bite at the headmaster like Vera had. 

          "Clear insubordination aside, I would like you to provide me with the device you used capture the other issue that we will be discussing."