27 - Lani's Painful Past

Lani's P.O.V.

I wanted to talk about my past. But it's hard. I had been abused physically and mentally by Monty several times when he was too drunk to care. I know that Tom cares and doesn't want me to have thhe burden but it will always be there no matter what. What's done is done, there is no going back. You know.... if i said that out loud to Tom he would probably say something along the lines of ''Your past may not have been the best, doesn't mean that you can let it drag down your future"..... When i think about it, this has been holding me down for years. 

I sat on the couch between Luke and Chris. My parents were stationed on the second couch while Liam mooched around, lying on the couch by the window. I laughed mentally at him because he was too tall to fit on the couch horizontally, so his legs were bent over the arm. Tom had then moved over to the recliner on Chris's right. Right..... Well, here goes nothing.

"I don't normally talk about this with anyone," I look down at my hands and twiddle my thumbs. "Some details my family don't know about either." I stopped there, unsure of how to continue. I looked up to see Tom looking at me with a sad look. I gave him a sad smile before turning to my family. Liam looked half asleep from the position he was lying in, Mum and Dad were looking at me no doubt trying to register the fact that they don't know everything that happened. Chris had placed a hand on my shoulder and Luke seemed fixated with the glass coffee table.

 "As you know, I was in a relationship with Monty a while ago. The first time i went out with him was right after I graduated High School. At first it was nothing. We were like any young couple. Free and enjoying life." I looked back down at my hands. "After a few years, i noticed that Monty was changing. He would go out and then show up either here or at Chris's place as drunk as a sailor. At first i disregarded it. I thought that he was just going through a stage and that he would get over it with time."

I could feel the tears in my eyes and they were clouding my vision. This was the first time in about 4 years that I had openly spoken about what happened. "One night i was over at their place. I was talking with Brendon waiting for Monty to get back. Brendon had offered me work at Bronty's and I was there to talk about that. It was around 10pm and Monty had stumbled home, in a drunk stupor. He couldn't walk straight, his speech was slurred. I should have left but i didn't. Monty saw me and Brendon and must have thought that something was going on between us. He yelled at Brendon to get out. Brendon started to leave and I started to follow, I was scared of Monty. He had never hurt me before but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't." 

I felt Chris starting to rub my shoulderblades. It was a bit comforting, but it wouldn't change the past. "Monty grabbed my wrist in a vice-like grip." I heard a sharp intake of breath which i was guessing came from Tom. He no doubt felt guilty just for grabbing my wrist. "He waited until Brendon was gone. I heard his car start up and slowly the drone of the car disappeared and I was alone with Monty." I put my hands to my eyes and completely broke down right there and then. I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around me and I knew that they belonged to Chris.

 I can't seem to form the words as i hug Chris tightly and cry into his shoulder. Chris is rubbing my back and I slowly calm myself down and bring my hands to my eyes and wipe the tears from my eyes.

"Lani. I know you don't want to talk about this. But what exactly did he do?" I looked at Tom. I didn't want to answer his question but i knew he was only asking because he cared.

"I-I-I-I...... Don't know that i c-can say...." It was the truth. I wasn't sure if i could say what Monty had done, but i knew that I would have to say it one way or another. I sigh and shake my head before continuing. "Monty hurt me. Both mentally and physically." I look towards my parents. "Do you remember those days I would come home and I had bruises? I would say that I fell or ran into a door. Those bruises were caused by Monty." I look away again and hear my mum gasp.

"Sweetie why didn't you tell us sooner?" My mum asked. I shake my head.

"Monty threatened that if i tell someone he would hurt me a lot more. I would have but i was scared..... I'm sorry."

I heard Chris mutter something under his breath.... something along the lines that if Monty ever came near me again, he would kill him. I smiled mentally but i didn't let it show on the outside. "I tried to leave him on several occasions and i almost succeeded every time. Although he always found a way to draw me right back to him. I was abused for about 1-2 years. A few times I came out with broken bones.... which i said were caused by falling down stairs and such."

"You ended up leaving him and that's the main thing." It was Liam that spoke up this time. I looked at him still looking half asleep on the couch across the room beside the  window.

"I did leave him.... But i left it too late and I'm scarred from it. I should have left him after the first time he did it."

"You have us to care though Lani. We will always be here for you." I look at Luke and he looks at me with a caring expression.

"Thank you. Really. I'm glad I have you guys. All of you." I stay cuddled into Chris chest and gradually fall asleep with the rise and fall of his chest as he breathes.

"Monty won't hurt you anymore Lani.... I promise." Where the last words I heard before falling into the world of sleep. I gave out a small smile as I recognized it as Chris's voice. I love my family.... 

A/N: Ok I will say this right now.... I had a hard time writing this chapter..... I was literally in tears by the time i finished writing this chapter. Hope you guys like the chapter. I'm not sure when the next chapter will be up. It might not be this week as I have my Trial HSC exams this week and they are pretty full on.... But i will try when i can :) Thanks so much for the support in this story guys

~Z