{29} I RECOGNIZE THAT I AM GOOD ENOUGH {29}

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry I won't be here much this summer," she finally blurted.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What? Don't be sorry, this is a great opportunity for both of us."

She sadly smiled. "Yeah, I know, but I'm going to miss you."

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I'll miss you too, Wise Girl. But a month isn't even that long. We'll be together for our four year friend-aversary," I pointed out.

Annabeth laughed. "Yeah. I got you something."

"Me too. We'll have to see who's present is better."

She rolled her eyes, smiling. "Silly Seaweed Brain, always making friendly things into competitions."

I shrugged. "It's what I do."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During school, first and second period were spent as free periods, meaning we could essentially fool around as much as we wanted, as long as we were safe. During third period and fourth period, we cleaned out our notebooks. Lunch was normal, as was fifth and sixth period. During seventh period, Greek mythology, everybody in our grade was sent to the gym for tenth grade graduation. Basically, some teachers did inspirational speeches, some students got awards, the principal read a sappy quote from some famous educator that passed, and we took a picture with everyone in the grade. After that, we were free to go, or we could stay to finish out final period.

Everyone filed into the gym, taking their seats on the bleachers. We were organized alphabetically by last name, and I was pretty much in the center.

The principal began the first speech of many. I crossed my arms and scanned the room. I felt kind of bad that I didn't really get to know too many of my peers. I stayed close with my main friend group, but I guess there was nothing wrong with that either.

"Now, we'll have one of our most favored teachers take hold of the podium, Chiron Brunner," the principal stated, rushing to sit down. A slight chuckle fell across the crowd.

Mr. Brunner adjusted the microphone, seeing as he was quite a tall guy. "Hello there, students. Each of you took my class either this year, or last, or perhaps both. All of you preformed wonderfully in my class, and I am very proud and honored to have taught you. One of my students who has absolutely excelled in my class, though, deserves to be rewarded. Perseus Jackson, could you make your way up here please?"

Everyone applauded, and I blushed. An embarrassing amount, to be honest. I held my head down as I worked my way out of the row. I made my way to the podium.

Mr. Brunner passed me a piece of fancy paper, my award.

"Thank you, sir," I said, shaking his hand.

"Thank you, Percy."

I rushed back to my seat. Yeah, it felt good to be honored, if I'm being honest. It felt good to be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We're free!" Rachel shouted.

I laughed, sitting on the park bench. Directly after the awards, Annabeth, Rachel, and I left school. Juniper said she still had things to take care of, so Grover stayed with her. Calypso mentioned something about needing to go home.

Annabeth brushed her hair from her eyes. "What do you guys want to do?"

Rachel put her arms behind her head and laid back on the grass. "I don't know about you lovebirds, but I'm already doing it."

I rolled my eyes. "Although that comment wasn't needed, I agree. This peace is good for a change."

"Yeah, it's pretty good," Annabeth admitted. "What was your favorite part about this year?"

"I'd have to say Greek mythology. Mr. Brunner's teaching skills have greatly improved," I stated.

Rachel sat up on her elbows. "I love that class. Remember that day right before February break, when - "

She didn't even have to finish, because everybody remembered what she was referring to. We all laughed.

The twin sons of the vice principal, Castor and Pollux, took seventh period Greek mythology with us. They were pretty cool kids, but occasionally got a little too snobby. Mr. Brunner always put them right back in their place, though.

"Pollux never saw it coming," I breathed out.

Annabeth nudged my arm. "Remember during October, when Mr. Brunner had an entire class debate about which superhero universe was better, Marvel or DC?"

I nodded, smiling. "I still think DC is better. I mean, you can't go wrong with Aquaman."

"No way, Black Widow is the best, and she's Marvel," Annabeth argued.

Rachel held up her hand. "I don't know about this superhero debate, but Star Wars versus Star Trek: what do you say?"

"No question," I said, glancing at Annabeth. 

"Star Wars," I answered as she replied, "Star Trek."

Rachel threw her head back with laughter as Annabeth and I glared at each other. "I'm telling you, it's the debate of the century." 

"Moving on," I grumbled. "Rachel, how long are you staying in England?"

"Maybe a month, not much longer. I should be back before August, and I'm trying to convince my dad to let me go to the camp Mr. Brunner is hosting. It sounds really cool."

I nodded. "I'm spending a month there, from July tenth through my birthday, August eighteenth."

"Cool, maybe I can join you."

"I hope that Mr. B. does this again next summer," Annabeth said. "I really want to go."

I nodded. "I hope so too."

Rachel's phone buzzed. She dug it out from her pocket and frowned. "I've got to go, my mom is mad about something." She rolled her eyes and stood up. "Catch you later."

She ran off, leaving me and Annabeth alone. We were both sitting on the wooden bench, taking in the scenery.

Annabeth shut her eyes and smiled softly, leaning onto my shoulder. "I'm really excited," she told me. "I've wanted to visit Greece since I was a little girl. It's in my blood."

I put my hand on hers. "I know."

I wanted Annabeth to know that I cared. That I listened. That I understood.

"My mom always told me that I needed to use my head. She said that I would face temptations, but I had to be smart. I wasn't smart when I decided to associate more with Luke. Nor when I ran away for the first time. It was stupid of me, but I managed to get away with it. It was pure luck."

I frowned. "What about me? Was - Was I a mistake?"

She looked up at me, and just stared. She didn't say anything for a moment, and my heart began beating faster. 

She doesn't like me.

"No."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sksksksjsk. Awwwww. Annabeth has regrets, and Percy wasn't one UwU 

You got lots of random Percy rambles, but that's what we've come to love throughout the series, is it not?

I hope you liked this chapter! What was your favorite part? Don't worry, I'll wait. Haha, seriously though, thanks for reading! If you enjoyed, please leave a vote, and tell me if you are a DC fan or a Marvel fan, and if you're a Star Wars or Star Trek frenzy. I'm into DC and Star Wars myself!