Part 25 - A Ludicrous Score and an Outrageous Plan

The next day, on her way to her chores, Desiree was greeted by a very loud argument in the auditorium. It seemed that the full gang of the theatre, namely, Firmin, Andre, Raoul, Christine, Carlotta, Piangi, Madame Giry and Meg Giry were looking over the score of the "Don Juan Triumphant" and disagreeing over every aspects of it, some of them questioning the sanity of the composer, in this case, the composer being Erik.

ANDRE "Ludicrous! Have you seen the score?"

FIRMIN "Simply ludicrous!"

FIRMIN "This is lunacy! Well, you know my views . .But we daren't refuse . . "

Andre groaned and looked up at the ceiling. He grimaced... "Not another chandelier . . ."

Desiree decided to lurk in the shadows of the auditorium and listen to the conversation.

Carlotta and Piangi were loudly complaining on the preposterous score and their parts assigned by the Phantom.

Carlotta huffed. "The things I have to do for my art!"

Piangi stabbed an accusing finger at the open score and scoffed. "If you can call this gibberish "art" !"

Then they both turned their accusations towards a weary-looking Christine.
Andre spoke tentatively to her, "Miss Daae, you have secured the largest role in this "Don Juan"."

Christine seemed to wilt further, shuddering by just looking at the score, as if she was reliving the night of the masquerade.
She scowled and whispered. "This isn't my fault! I don't want any part in this plot!"

That seemed to suprise the managers and as they were already afraid of the Phantom, they start to placate her to take the part. Carlotta and Piangi joined in, accusing her of colluding with the Phantom to gain the big role.

ANDRE "You have a duty!"

Christine, becoming fed up from all the attention on her, shook her head vigorously, "I cannot sing it, duty or not!"

Raoul decided to step in only now, conforting Christine with a hand on her shoulder. "Christine . . .You don't have to . . .they can't make you . .But think about what kind of advantage we could have over him if we keep you onstage"

He turned to Andre and Firmin, "This could be the chance to ensnare our clever friend". The two managers' eyes glittered and the group huddled together to listen to Raoul's whispered plan.

Desiree did not need to inch forward to hear their plan, she already knew it from the story line. They will try to catch or kill the Phantom by keeping Christine as bait and surrounding the theatre with policemen.

After a few minutes of  whispering, Madame Giry gasped and drew back from the circle, " This is madness! Monsieur, believe me - there is no way of turning the tide. You cannot hope to catch him! He will get angry and his fury will be upon us."

Her outburst angered the two managers, who reprimanded her to just do her job on ballet and leave the plotting to Raoul and them. While another bouts of arguments ensued between the four of them, Christine started shaking and cried out with her hands on her ears, "If you don't stop, I'll go mad! ! !"

Meg ran to her to help her before she crumpled to the floor and Raoul went to her immediately. Christine's face is white and her eyes are wide with confusion and fear now.

She looked up at Raoul with a tear-stained face and pleaded him,