Part 23 - A surprise at the Masquerade

The masquerade was in full swing. Monsieur Andre and Firmin both wore similar costumes, skeletons with opera capes. They had their masks tilted upward to reveal their faces while they toast each other, so their identities were evident. Both were holding wine glasses in their hand and conversing loudly. Desiree stealthily made her way towards them to hear what they were saying.

FIRMIN : "Dear Andre, what a splendid party! "

ANDRE : "The prologue to a bright new year!"

FIRMIN : "Quite a night! I'm impressed!"

FIRMIN : "Well, one does one's best . . ."

They both raised their glasses.

"Here's to us!"

FIRMIN: "I must say, all the same, that it's a shame that 'Phantom' fellow isn't here! Ha ha "

ANDRE: "We should make sure that Christine does not stay longer as she seems to attract that Phantom's attention."

Firmin shuddered at the mention of the Phantom.

FIRMIN: "I agree with that, I also got news that Madamoiselle Giudecelli is willing to return too. We should persuade Monsieur La Vicomte"

Desiree just remembered that she was supposed to look for Christine for Erik. He would be waiting in the shadows, watching Desiree's little monkey to locate Chrisitne. However, the multiple costumes and giggling girls made it very hard to single out Christine from the crowd. Desiree wrecked her mind to recall Christine's dress from the musical. Something purple with stars...

However, there were lots of girls with starry costumes. Moreover, a lot of them had curly brown hair similar to Christine. Desiree desperately looked around for clues which will point her to the right direction. She doubted even the Phantom could locate Christine in this mass.

Finally, her eyes settled on a couple huddled in conversation in the corner. The girl wore a short, sweet gown with dark pink and purple hues, the colour of the twilight sky. Stars dotted the bodice of the gown and the girl held a mask in her hand. The gentleman near her wore a formal attire of a prince. Desiree was sure it was Christine and Raoul, but she went closer nonetheless in order to confirm. She vaguely noted that they were standing near the alcove with a secret passage Erik showed her.

The girl was whispering excitedly, holding a ring laced around her neck with a thin chain,

"Think of it! A secret engagement! Look – your future bride!!"

'(Gotcha!)' , Desiree whispered in her mind.

RAOUL: "But why is it secret? What have we to hide?"

CHRISTINE: " Please, let's not fight . . ."

RAOUL: "Christine, you're free!"

CHRISTINE: "Wait till the time is right . . ."

RAOUL : "When will that be? It's an engagement, not a crime! Christine, What are you afraid of? He hasn't been seen or heard from for over 6 months."

Christine just sighed and shook her head a little, her hand holding the mask lowering.
"You don't understand, Raoul"

Desiree was dancing around them and while they were both unaware, she snatched the mask from Christine's hand. Both of them turned to look at her but since she was wearing the monkey mask, they did not recognize her. She made some mischievous gestures and ran away, making sure she had Christine's mask in her hand.