Chapter 52

As expected, Metagor attacked first. With two great flaps of his wings, he was hurtling to me at an alarming speed.

I brought my arms together to focus my lightning better and leveled a long-reaching charged blast his way.

It was a direct hit. But he didn't seem fazed by it in the least. Smoke came off his skin, but he showed no sign of slowing.

I narrowly dodged him by flying below him. I turned in midair to keep him in my sights above me, but that meant putting my back to Sage.

Metagor went right into the wall of water. I thought he would go all the way through, but he just landed on it like it was solid and came right at me again. I flew all the way to the top, noting that his weight would make it difficult for him to maneuver as well as I could.

A sharp slicing sound pierced the air, and a sharp object protruded from the roof of the dome directly above me, just missing my head by a centimeter.

I let gravity take over for a moment to get away from the ceiling. I should've known Sage would be able to make the dome itself dangerous. To keep her busy, I threw a ball of lightning her way.

Not a moment later, Metagor slammed into me from behind. His spikes dug into my stomach as he wrapped his arms around my torso.

He folded his wings in and his full weight pressed down onto me as we both fell to the metal surface of the facility below.

I struggled in his grip, watching the ground quickly approach. I knew he was far too strong to break free of, though.

I forced myself to stay calm and keep my powers under control. Something was trying to force its way to the surface, but I didn't know what it was, or if I could trust it.

I closed my eyes for a moment, concentrating. Then, I opened them again as wide as I could and let lightning pour forth...right into Metagor's.

He let loose with a loud roar, instantly letting go of me to clutch his eyes.

Not a second too soon, I flew out from under him and watched as he fell right through the thick metal.

Now for Sage.

Apparently, she had that exact thought at the same moment. With a twitch of her hand, three fluid streams of water were thrown out of the water behind her, slicing the air between us. I threw my left hand out in front of me, moving it from left to right and charging the air. The water shots sizzled against the electrified space in front of me, and my charge dissipated.

Before she could come up with another attack, I dove towards the base of the liquid she was using to lift herself up, plunging my arm deep into it and sending up as much lightning as I could muster.

She couldn't react quickly enough, and I watched as her body convulsed above me. She lost control, and water came crashing down around us.

I got down on my knees, covering my eyes and mouth with my hands, as water rushed into the empty space that had created the dome. It felt like someone was dropping tons of steel over my spine. I gasped from the impact, and water rushed into my lungs. So much was beating down my back that I was knocked clear off the platform and into the frigid water.

I couldn't figure out which way was up. My body spun around in the water, and I couldn't right myself enough to get my bearings. I could try to fly out, but I would risk going deeper into the sea or hurtling myself into rock.

Not knowing what else to do, I curled up into a ball and tried to hold on to life. I wrapped my arms around my legs and buried my head into my chest.