Chapter 22

I froze in place. They still didn't know who I was. Or where I was.

I tentatively moved backwards, sweat building on my brow as panic threatened to break from my lungs and give me away completely.

"I think the sound came from the vent," Ben said.

"Could be a rat," Ashley suggested.

"Rats? Here?" Ben raised a good point.

All I had to do was turn now. But doing it backwards was proving to be a challenge, especially without making sound. I moved back more so I could turn forward instead of backwards.

Filtered light came through the grate as Ben's head appeared in it. He was too far away to be able to see me.

The whole thing shuddered as Ben ripped the grate from its place. My feet disappeared around the corner just as Ben stuck his whole head inside.

"Hm," he said. His voice echoed through the chute. "I guess it was just a rat. I can't see anything."

"Thanks. You just ripped off a part of my wall," Ashley said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Sorry?" Ben said. "What if it had been someone trying to get into the building?"

"Then they'll have more problems on their hands than you think. You can't access the ventilation system from the outside without setting off the alarms."

Their voices grew more faint as I retraced my path back to my room.

I hurried out and put the grate back in place, extinguishing my light after and flipping the switch in my room instead.

That was too close, I thought. I plopped down on my bed.

It took a few minutes to settle my nerves. I replayed the conversation in my head, focusing on the part where Ben discussed my DID- whatever that was.

How did a medical condition I had play into Project Ares? Is that what caused it to go unfinished (until I happened to come across the way to completing it via explosion)? Why didn't I have it now?

I pulled on the clothes I would sleep in, turned off the light, and threw my comforter over my body, embracing the warmth it gave me. I could figure these things out in the morning- after a hot shower and time to think without exhaustion weighing down on me.

Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

*****

Colors rushed by, vivid blues and purples and oranges, whizzing by as I floated in midair. This was my mind, and my wild thoughts were overwhelming me.

I couldn't focus on any individual shape forming in the rainbows flying past me. My eyes searched from left to right, disorientation making me dizzy.

Then, all of the images imploded, all changing to blue, and I pulled out a distinct picture that stood out in front of me.

My feet touched softly on soft, nearly transparent blue grass.  A small circle of light was illuminated in a world of darkness around me.

A bright flash. Cassie, me, and me appeared on the ground in front of me. I was watching from the outside this time as Cassie kneeled over my body.

I've already seen this, I realized. Before I found out about Zero. Why am I seeing it again?

A few moments later, I figured out why.

Endgame (Book 3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें