Chapter 3

According to the President's statement, we were all to assume nothing was going on and go about or lives like it was a normal day.

What that meant for school, I disagreed with completely. It would be a huge mistake to put a bunch of accident-prone, highly dangerous teenagers in such a small area- and with powers, that got worse.

Wasn't he supposed to declare this a state of emergency? Did he realize the implications of the situation? What was he doing to combat this? It would only be a matter of time before the amount of powered people against something began to take action. Crime rates would go up. Homicides, accidental deaths. All of the reasons why I didn't like superheroes or the Meta Revolution the first time around.

Sage said that we should probably hurry unless we wanted to skip for the day. I was going to disagree, but Mom said we should go- because we could handle ourselves.

I didn't want to argue, so I packed up my stuff and took the car.

I called Cassie ahead so she could be ready on time. She told me she was going to be a little late. She thought we would miss it, too, and she hadn't gotten dressed yet.

I didn't let myself be distracted with all the people I saw that would have been doing normal things had it been any other day. Most of them had gone inside again, though, by the time I rolled around. They had probably gotten over the shock of being able to do things superheroes could do in a comic book and decided that staying outside wasn't a good idea. Wise choice.

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, now waiting in front of her house. It was a little bigger than mine, with a smaller driveway but a larger yard, and a garden next to the small sidewalk that ran from her front door to the driveway.

I perked up when the door opened and Cassie's beautiful face was revealed to be on the other side.

I sighed in relief after I realized Zero hadn't gotten to her. I really didn't even notice I was worried about it.

She stuffed her bag in the backseat of the car and got in the passenger's seat, giving me a quick kiss before putting on her seat belt. "Hey," she said.

I began to pull out once she had it on. "Hey," I said.

"Where's Sage?"

"She ran to school," I said.

She went to college somewhere around here. It was on the way to my school, so we planned on me dropping her off there or something similar to that.

"That's sweet," she said. "How thoughtful of her."

"I think it was more of a time restraint than a thoughtful expression," I said, thinking of how much of a big sister Sage actually was. The good and the bad.

"But on the bright side..." Cassie offered.

"Sure," I said. I turned the corner a couple of miles out from the school.

I thought I saw a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye.

"This whole thing with the superpowers..." I began to say.

"We should probably do something about that," she commented.

"Yeah, but I don't know what," I said, shrugging as I turned the wheel.

"Hm," she said.

I pulled into the parking lot of our school, which wasn't that far from Cassie's house, now that I thought about it.