Chapter 48

I was ready for the void this time.

When my feet touched the surface, I immediately opened my eyes and scanned my surroundings, searching for Jay and Zero.

Just a few yards away, they waved frantically to me. Their mouths were moving, but no sound was coming out.

Why can't I hear them? I thought even as my legs carried me forward, pushing me towards them. They seemed distraught.

I couldn't actually tell what the motions they were making with their hands were. Until it was too late to turn back.

They were moving their hands away from them, warding me off. Telling me to stay back. My pace slowed to a stop.

I had already been caught in the trap.

You know that feeling you get when a bug crawls on your skin? You immediately want to get it off. It feels fluttery, but also alien, and extremely uncomfortable.

It was this sensation that began at my feet. Long, sticky tendrils began to crawl up my legs, attaching themselves to my clothes. When they connected, they tightened and slowly began to recede into the ground- with me still hanging on.

I brought a leg up, grabbing hold of a few of the dark appendages in my hand and tried to yank them off. It was no use. I only ended up in getting the whole arm sucked in as well.

My legs were now sinking into the ground, disappearing into nothing. The part of me already below the surface was wriggling around in empty air, my legs finding nothing to hold on to.

The lower I got, the faster I sank. My powers were useless as always, and my attempts to bring up my torso with my other arm only resulted in it getting caught, too. And I was getting tired of moving. My limbs slowed down, exhausted, as the inevitability of the situation hit me. Whatever was happening was just going to happen.

Only my face was above the surface now. I tilted it back, trying to catch my last bit of air. I wasn't even sure if I had to breathe to survive in this place. But I knew dying in here probably meant dying in the real world, too.

I couldn't look at Jay and Zero. I was sure they were stuck in just the same situation as me, but they were probably far ahead, already falling below. That was why they couldn't come to me.

Finally, my face disappeared with the rest of my body. I could see what I was sinking into now.

Except...there was nothing.

I was falling. With my arms and legs spread wide, I dropped from the air like a rock. Below me and not too far to my right, Zero and Jay, side by side, were still making odd motions with their hands. But I didn't think they were meant for me this time. Bluish-white sparks jumped from them and into the air and floated upwards towards me, emitting light briefly. I looked up.

I wished I hadn't.

Straight out of a horror movie, the inky substance that had dragged me down here had seemed to cave in on itself and take the ride with all three of us. It had taken the form of the only thing disturbing enough to shake up my thoughts: my face.

I'd seen enough action movies to know how to dive, probably, but I was still on the other side of Zero and Jay. If I could just reach them...

Don't think. Just do, I told myself.

Realizing that the giant dark creature was catching up with me in free fall, I tucked in my arms and legs and tried to orient my body down. I rapidly began to catch up with my two counterparts.

"Guys!" I tried to shout. My mouth moved, but no sound was coming out. We couldn't communicate with each other. When had the rules changed?

Once I had reached their position, I tried to spread out my arms and legs again. I didn't account for the time it would take for me to slow my descent, so I flew right past them.

Fortunately, I had gotten their attention. They were still moving their hands together, sending sparks flying every which way, but they did so more purposely, keeping their gazes intently focused on me.

I hadn't even attempted to use my lightning yet. I tried to force some through my fingertips.

Surprisingly, it jumped to life without a hitch, much like a car that had gotten a jumpstart. Electricity crackled between my fingertips, ready for me to put to use.

Flipping over in the air, I noted where Zero and Jay were above me. I brought my arms together and aimed for their hands, hoping I didn't miss.

The lightning sputtered and died. I lost control. The dark rendition of my face had caught up to the pair and was nearly on top of them. I didn't have time to help them with whatever they were doing.

Sensing their impending doom, I could only watch as they attempted to dive towards me. Instead of making the same mistake I had, they timed the fall perfectly so that they were level with my position.

Now, we were all in trouble.

Their mouths were moving, but I still couldn't hear a word they were saying. I looked at their joined hands, knowing I needed to do something soon before we were consumed by the darkness.

Stretching the tips of each of my fingers till they reached Jay's and Zero's, I latched onto their hands and held on for dear life, exuding as much electricity out from me and into them as I could.

There were no more sparks between the three of us. Just pure, unbridled lightning.

A sphere of blue glowing energy formed in the center of our ring. It started out small, but as the electricity between us increased, so did its size.

Zero and Jay looked at me and grinned. Simultaneously, they mouthed, "Thank you."

A sudden lightness came over me. We were falling. I couldn't feel anything. They were gone. I was all that was left.

I couldn't move my neck to see the onslaught of darkness coming my way, though I was sure it was still closing in on me.

Then, the sphere disappeared. I was doused in complete darkness once again.

Crack!

And just like that, I died.