Chapter 13

I silently sucked in a deep breath and held it in fear of him hearing me. My heart was trying to beat its way out of my chest, and I prayed It wouldn't hear that, either.

My hands clenched and uncurled themselves on the ground in anticipation. I wished I could do something to keep it from finding me.

It's feet remained near the car I was hiding under for a painstakingly long time. I resisted the urge to wipe sweat from my eyes. Any little movement could alert him to my presence.

My lungs wanted to explode, but I gave them no reprieve. They could wait for my life to be out of danger.

It screamed again in frustration. Once again, I used the loud distraction to suck in a huge breath of air.

His legs moved erratically, wandering farther into the lot. I was so close that blood began to drop down from my ears.

I craned my neck around so that I could see him again. He had moved far away, but he was in the direction in front of the car.

I trembled, seeing him completely for the first time.

His face wasn't even ugly like the rest of him. It was gross.

A mass of empty, smooth flesh greeted my eyes. A large, circular indent in his lower face was probably his mouth. This guy was completely repulsive.

His spine arched back, his arms and legs spread wide, It continued to screech ferociously. I was tempted to crawl out from my hiding space and confront it just to shut him up, but I knew I wouldn't last long enough to even make a snarky comment.

Long tendrils of green-tinged electricity circled around It. They spread out from his body and scrambled across the lot, winding under- and through- cars and bushes.

One didn't directly come to me, but I saw a tendril turn three cars down from me and begin to head in my direction.

Crap, I thought. If that thing touches me, I'm a goner.

I tried to scoot back from under the safety of the car. I managed to get half of my body from under the back, away from the electric tendril and out of sight of It.

The tendril weaved under the car, and I pulled my finger back just in time to avoid getting stung and discovered. It retreated back to its owner, as there were no more cars on this side.

I quickly moved back under the car as fast as I could, getting a look at the creature. He appeared to be immobilized while using this ability. Could that be my opening, my chance to attack?

As soon as the thought crossed my mind, however, all of the tendrils had formed a circle around It again and fizzled out into the air. He began to move again, now screeching no more.

He didn't see me, I thought in relief.

At least, that's what I thought. His feet redirected themselves so that they were pointed in my direction. Then, he began to walk slowly in my direction.

But I wasn't going to give him the chance.

Before he could reach me, I found strength somewhere in me. It wasn't enough to transform, but I could still use some of my other powers.